Our Daily Bread: Always on Duty

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2011
      READ: Acts 20:22-32

      Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. —Hebrews 13:17

      As my kids were discarding their trash at the local mall food court, my
      oldest son was almost run into by a man who was clearly on a mission. My younger son jokingly remarked, “Maybe he stole something.” Thinking I
      might be able to use this as a teachable moment, I said, “That’s what
      the Bible calls judging.” He then asked with a smile: “Why are you
      always ‘pastoring’ me?” After I finished laughing, I told my sons that I could never take a vacation from shepherding them.
      The apostle Paul told the Ephesian elders that they too could never take a
      vacation from shepherding God’s people (Acts 20). He was convinced that
      false teachers would try to ravage the church (v.29), and the elders
      needed to protect the group from them. Caring for God’s people includes
      feeding them spiritually, leading them gently, and warning them firmly.
      Leaders in the church are to be motivated by the incalculable price
      Christ paid on the cross (v.28).
      Church leaders have a big responsibility to watch over our souls, for one day
      they will give an account to the Lord for their work among us. Let’s
      bring them joy now by responding to their faithful, godly leadership
      with obedience and submission (Heb. 13:17). —Marvin Williams
      We join our hearts and hands together
      Faithful to the Lord’s
      command:
      We hold each other to God’s standards—
      All that truth and love demand. —D. De Haan
      After we hear the Word of God, we should then take up the work of God.