Our Daily Bread: Rejected Light

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2011
      READ: John 12:35-46

      I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness. —John 12:46

      In the early hours of December 21, 2010, I witnessed an event that last
      occurred in 1638—a total lunar eclipse on the winter solstice. Slowly
      the shadow of the earth slipped across the bright full moon and made it
      appear a dark red. It was a remarkable and beautiful event. Yet it
      reminded me that while physical darkness is part of God’s created
      design, spiritual darkness is not.
      Scottish pastor Alexander MacLaren said: “Rejected light is the parent of the
      densest darkness, and the man who, having the light, does not trust it,
      piles around himself thick clouds of obscurity and gloom.” Jesus
      described this self-imposed spiritual eclipse of heart and mind
      when He said, “If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how
      great is that darkness!” (Matt. 6:23).
      The great invitation of Christmas is to open our hearts to the Savior who
      came to end our darkness. Jesus said, “While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light. . . . I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in
      darkness” (John 12:36,46).
      The way out of our spiritual night is to walk in the light with Him. —David McCasland
      Come to the Light, ’tis shining for
      thee,
      Sweetly the Light has dawned upon me;
      Once I was blind, but now I can see—
      The Light of the world is Jesus. —Bliss
      When we walk in the Light, we won’t stumble in the darkness.