Levels of Prayer Leading To God

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Apr 2, 2003
      Levels of Prayer Leading To God

      The Blessed Elena Guerra (1835-1914), said that praying is:

      1) Thinking of God so as to know Him;

      2) Knowing God so as to love Him;

      3) Loving God so as to serve Him;

      4) Knowing, loving and serving God so as to enjoy Him in eternity.
      (Listening p.89)

      God is spirit and those who worship Him
      must worship in spirit and truth. (John 2:24)

      The highest prayer is therefore that which comes from a liberated
      spirit, when it has learned to pray without the help of the mouth or
      the mind, uniting itself with God in the high and silent language of
      inner contemplation, when its inner eye, or eye of the soul, has been
      opened thanks to the guidance of a capable Saint. This is described
      by the Saints as the purest and highest form of prayer. Until we
      reach it, however, we can find comfort by praying from the depths of
      our heart, in whatever way possible for us. For this reason there are
      various forms and degrees of prayer.

      1. The simplest and most common form of prayer is the traditional or
      spontaneous oral one, recited alone or in group. Devotional hymns
      also belong to this category of prayer. This kind of prayer, if
      performed with care and devotion, can have the effect of calming the
      mind for some time. Since it only takes place at a physical level, it
      cannot - however devout it is - free the spirit from the iron
      tentacles of the mind and senses, so as to open the door to inner
      access.

      2. The next level of prayer is the mental one, performed with the
      language of the mind. Meditating on facts and readings, pieces from
      the Scriptures, the words of Saints and Masters, etc. is also mental
      prayer. This kind of prayer is less spectacular and attracts the
      crowds less than the previous kind, but it has a more subtle and
      profound effect. It can, in fact, direct the devotee toward self-
      analysis and inner concentration. But despite these advantages, not
      even this kind of prayer can, in itself, make us penetrate into the
      realm of beatitude and pure divine contemplation. In fact, it uses a
      limited means (the mind), which can neither contain nor conceive of
      the Infinite and the Eternal, and is therefore incapable of
      contemplating and knowing the authentic essence of the Divinity.

      3. The next step, which can be taken only with the help of a Saint of
      the highest Order, or Master of the Word, consists in concentrating
      one's attention within, elevating it in a practical way above body
      consciousness and the continuous oscillations of the mind, so as to
      contemplate, through His grace, the Radiant Light of the Kingdom of
      God which is within us (Luke 17:21). Contemplation is an act purely
      of the spirit and only the spirit can penetrate into the secrets of
      God, tasting His infinite perfection and beauty. Only those souls who
      truly desire Knowledge, purified by an elevated ethical life and
      directed by an enlightened Guide, can arrive at this most elevated
      form of prayer, which, making the devotee know the otherwise
      invisible God, increases his love and thirst for His unlimited
      perfection. Having known Him, he can truly love Him. Loving Him above
      all else, he will want to serve Him in all of His creation. Then
      annulling himself at the feet of his own Guide [spiritual director]
      and God, he will receive in exchange, while he is still alive on this
      earth, endless bliss.

      The person who arrives at this last form of prayer will, in time,
      become capable of contemplating the Divinity everywhere,
      uninterruptedly, and their every task or act will become simply a
      song of praise to God, which wells up in torrents of perennial bliss
      and endless joy from the depths of his liberated soul. (The Path of
      Spirituality, Pier Franco Marcenaro)
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21 9:09 AM
        Dear all