Blessed are those who are clothed in Light -- Saint Symeon

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Apr 2, 2003
      Blessed are those who are clothed in Light -- Saint Symeon

      A school of dolphins (a usual phenomenon on Mt. Athos), as far as I
      could distinguish from where I was, was playing in the sea. They
      would emerge and then again take a plunge into the golden water.
      Monks, I thought, these fervent lovers of heaven, are like dolphins.
      They live immersed in the water of grace and emerge only for a while
      to show us that they exist and again recede into the Vision of God.
      St. Symeon dwelling within the uncreated Taborian Light, blesses
      the lovers of God:

      "Blessed are those who are clothed in Light,
      for they are wearing the wedding garment.
      Blessed are those who have kindled the Light
      in their hearts, who keep it unquenched,
      for as they joyfully depart from this life,
      they will meet the bridegroom, torch in hand,
      as he leads them into the bridal chamber.
      Blessed are those who have approached the divine Light,
      who have entered it and been absorbed by it,
      mingled in its brightness, sin has no more power,
      they will weep bitter tears no more.
      Blessed is the monk, offering his prayers to God,
      who sees Him, and is seen near Him,
      who feels himself out of time and space,
      for he is in God alone, knowing not
      if he is in or out of the body;
      he hears inneffable words, not to be spoken;
      he sees what no eye has seen or ear heard,
      nor has it entered the heart of man.
      Blessed is he who has seen the Light of the world
      formed in himself, for he has conceived Christ
      within himself..."

      -- Archim. Hierotheos Vlachos,
      "A Night in the Desert of the Holy
      Mountain," Birth of Theotokos Monastery,
      Levadia, ISBN: 960-7070-04-6
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all