Our Daily Bread

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 90 , Nov 27, 2011
      READ: Psalm 86

      I am poor and needy. —Psalm 86:1

      In one way or another, we can all relate to Psalm 86:1 where David says, “I am poor and needy.” Even the richest among us should understand that poverty and need relate more to the spirit than to the wallet. When billionaire Rich DeVos speaks to groups he often says, “I’m just a sinner saved by grace.”
      Psalm 86 tells us that the help God provides is not measured by a monetary ledger sheet. When we acknowledge that we are poor and needy, it’s not so God will lavish material riches on us. No, we do so to open the door to other, more valuable treasures.
      Here’s what God does for the poor and needy. He will “preserve” our lives and “save” all those who trust in Him (v.2). He will be “merciful” and “ready to forgive” (vv.3,5). He will listen to and answer prayer (vv.6-7).
      But we’re not to take God’s blessings without giving back. We have a responsibility to learn God’s ways, walk in His truth, “fear [God’s] name,” praise the Lord, and “glorify [His] name” (vv.11-12).
      Do you consider yourself among the “poor and needy”? If so, welcome to the club. Let’s not forget all the spiritual blessings God has for us and the godly response we should have toward His generosity. —Dave Branon
      We’re thankful for the blessings, Lord,
      You give us day by day;
      Now help us show our gratitude
      By walking in Your way. —Sper
      The poorest man is he whose only wealth is money
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.