Re: British Library Syriac MSS

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 12, 2002

      Dear brother Thomas

      We already discussed this subject in many different forums. Always you accuse the Syrian Orthodox church (Under Catholic domain). Your accusation is based on the two mutual agreement between RC and SOC. As I explained to you many time, please go through the text of the agreement thoroughly (It is available in our file section). Your doubt will be cleared. But you don�t want to understand it.

      The so-called Malankara Orthodox Independent Church also is in dialogue with RC. What you think they are talking in the meetings?

      Above to all, please try to read the so-called Independent Church's constitution article # 5, which says the Church accept the Paris cannon. You must know that Rev. Fr. Paul Badjman a RC priest printed and published this Canon in 1898, to establish the Superiority of the Roman Pop in the universal church.The Honorable Supreme Court of India rejected this canon. n the itroduction page of the Cannon Fr. Badjman him self stated that, � Self added many more and deleted many from the original Hudoyo Canon"

      So please tell me who is under the RC dominion officially. Please try to own house at order first before accusing others.

      In Our Lords Love

      Thomas Daniel

    • John Philip
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002

        In this particular era of hatred of some unscrupulous elements against the Syrian Orthodox Church and its Holy Fathers;  it will be very interesting to read the  'Biography of Mor Gregorious' (Parumala Thirumeni), published by Vargheese Mapillai, the then Chief of Malayala Manorama in 1903, a year after the demise of the Saint (in Malayalam).  It can be accessed through the link below.

        The article is related to the Collection of Resessha ( an amount given to the supreme head of church the Patriarch, which is similar to 'Catholica Dina Pirivu' of the present times) by Saint Gregorious.

        (Source : htttp://www.parumalathirumeni.com)

        Links from the pages:

        Download exciting Logos, Picture Messages & Ringtones for your mobile phonenew
      • Fr. John Kunjukunju
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
          Dear Reji,
          One day before, this very question was asked to me in an email and I with paternal regards gave him a reply. It was like this: While it is true that St Saverious wrote his major works in Greek, he had also written in Syriac. He was equally a scholar in Syriac too. The reason is not what you think. He wrote in Greek so that he wanted his message of church theology to be passed on to the intelligentsia. Why do we write in English while we are Malayalees? Because we need to pass on the message to those who do not Malayalam.
          Syriac is not the mother language of the present Syrians but it is the vernacular of our Lord. The present Indian Orthodox bishop Mathai Mor Saverious is already in the process of reviving Syriac and he already published Gospel according to Mathew in Syriac, etc. The reply was about half a page. This is for your information.
          I really appreciate your reply which is very apt. love, Johnachan.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
            My full support to what John Philip wrote. I had on many occasions wrote these matters to Mr Thomas P. No amount of explanation will satisfy him. After closely analyzing his various thoughts in various forums, what I derived of him is that his thoughts are disoriented and too unrelenting to others' views. It is a sort of fanatism. We can only pray for him., Love, Johnachan.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2002
              You continue to tell that I am against Syrian Orthodox.
              Do you know that I attend both sides for liturgy. Do you
              know that I invited Malankara Jacobite priest who concelebrate
              for fucntions in my family. Do you give the same respect to
              Malankara Orthodox church? If not, how can you say with
              confidence that I am aganist Syrian Orthodox?

              You may discourage me attending a Malankara Jacobite church.
              But I will continue to do this until a final separation.

              Syrian Orthodox in my mind is different from the church
              portrayed by proud Malankara Jacobites, especially "chevaliers"
              and the aristocratic rich who stand for division.
              I know their position very well, because I was in their midst
              for many years attending only Malankara JAcobite church
              for about 6 continous years.

              Yes, to some extent I am against the modern Syrian Orthodox.
              But there is the Syrian Orthodox that is dying today:
              with large number of abandoned monasteries and churches in
              Turkey region. When I see large number of Syrian orthodox
              going to Anglican and RCC for communion, it is indeed a
              sad thing to me. A Malankara Jacobite told me:" I will
              contunie to commune from Anglican, but not from Orthodox".

              No explanation from my side can help you people understand me.
              I have good mnumber of books about the real old Syrian Orthodox.
              I do respect the old Syrian church which was pure in faith.
              I remain a lover of the old Syrian Orthodox Church, which
              I see is significantly different from the Syrian Church
              after Patriarch Yakub 111. I hope you will understand me.
              I wish to see a growing Syrian Orthodox in the middle east,
              in the land were old fathers of Anthiocian church are resting.

              Can you tell me how manuscripts ended up in British and Vatican
              libraries?

              -Thomas

              --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Fr. John Kunjukunju" <fatherjohnkk@h...>
              wrote:
              > My full support to what John Philip wrote. I had on many occasions
              wrote these matters to Mr Thomas P. No amount of explanation will
              satisfy him. After closely analyzing his various thoughts in various
              forums, what I derived of him is that his thoughts are disoriented and
              too unrelenting to others' views. It is a sort of fanatism. We can
              only pray for him., Love, Johnachan.

            • thomas_pa1
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2002
                Dear Achen, Forgive me. Don't give me any special respect because
                my parent if from Malankara Jacobite side. Treat me just like
                you want to treat a Malankara Orthodox Christian or the way you
                want to treat an Indian Christian.

                St. Severios was not the only Greek father to occupy the throne
                of Anthioc. There were many others. I have no evidence for their
                works in Syriac. I do know that many of the works of St. Severios
                was later translated to Syriac. The Christians of Anatolia,
                and Northern Iraq regions used Syriac from ancient times.
                But in Anthioc, Greek was the predominant language.
                St. Severios was from a Monastery in Gaza region, were he lived
                with Egyptian monks. He was a man of great fasting and prayer.
                His hymn "B'slus emo deelethok..." (Nin maathavu Vishudhanmar...)
                was originally written by him in Greek ("O Monogenis ...").
                This hymn is also used by Greek churches.

                Even today, the major part of Anthiocian church is Greek apeaking.

                I have read the works of H.G. Mathews Mar Severios, especially
                his research in the area of theology of St. Philoxenos of Mabbug.
                There is no Petrine supremacy arguments in the works of St. Philoxenos
                of Mabbug. Being a follower of St. Severios, Mar Aksnaya (St.
                Philoxenos) wrote about the Christology of St. Cyril of Alexandria.
                Beyond this, there is no teaching about the modern line of thinking
                in the Malankara Jacobite church you find there.
                H.G. Mathews Mar Severios also lists all the works of St. Philoxenos
                of Mabbug.

                I myself learned Syriac. I consider it a great ecclesiastical
                language (like Coptic, Greek, Latin etc.). If church fathers
                living in Syria developed all the wonderful work before 6th century,
                we need to follow their footsteps and develop more and more
                works in Indian languages about faith. This will help the growth
                of Orthodox faith in India. This will happen only if we train
                younger genration in this direction beyond too much pride about
                Syriac language. Instead of allowing our church in India to die,
                we must allow it to grow.

                The Syrian pride I mentioned in my mails is the pride of
                some "chevaliers" and aristocratic families about Syrian identity:
                the feeling of superiority they get by imagining Syrian identity.
                You know what I mean. So, please do not criticise me beyond what
                I really mean.

                Sincerely,

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 14, 2002
                  Dear brothers, Please listen to me. Last week I talked to
                  a Malankara Jacobite relative of mine. He told me that it is
                  fine to commune in Anglican church ( I know that in Kerala this
                  person does not commune from Mar Thoma church). He also mentioned
                  that he can commune from RCC. Another close relative and an altar
                  servant of Malankara Jacobite church communes from Anglican church.
                  He was an youth leader in the Church and a person with strong
                  adherence to Mar Divannasios. So, where is faith in all these.
                  The faith my grand-mother taught me is significantly different
                  from what I see today. I know that both Malankara Jacobite and
                  Malnakara Orthodox side will ignore me.

                  So, to answer Daniel, it is true that His Holiness Patriarch's
                  agreement means only communion in certain situations. But, knowing
                  our people, I can predict for sure that eventually younger generation
                  (especially those living outside Kerala) will go to RCC because
                  of shorter service. Also there is no singing and other participation
                  of laity in RCC liturgy.

                  Hope I made my concerns clear. I have the same concerns about
                  Malankara Orthodocx church entering in to such agreements with RCC.
                  We also need to keep in mind that RCC accepts any kind of thing:
                  even cultic worship. Also according to Cardinal Ratzinger of
                  congregation of faith, a church entering to any kind of communion
                  agreement with RCC would mean (from RCC perspective) that, the
                  church is a part of RCC accpting the supremacy of Pope. This is
                  written clearly in "Dominus Iesus" statement, official statement
                  of faith from Vatican.

                  -Thomas
                • daniel_reji
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2002
                    Dear brother Thomas P

                    If laymen do not follow the guidelines of the Synod or the
                    instructions of the church, we can't blame the Church or its leaders
                    for that. As we are the part of the Church, it is our duty and we
                    have to follow them.

                    Now comes back to Malankara, as long as the Christianity exist in
                    Malankara, the laymen will attend the Liturgies of other factions.
                    This is not because of the understanding of the theology but it is
                    because of our relations. Especially in the Travancore area each
                    family have the relatives from all the Christian sects. They can't
                    run away or stay away from the other liturgy services. As long as
                    Syrian Orthodox Church has an understanding with RC on Holy Qurbono
                    the belivers can receive the Holy Communion with out any second
                    thoughts. This applied to both factions of the Malankara
                    (Catholicose / Patriarch), because the Church in Malankara is the
                    integral part of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church (By the
                    Malankara Constitution and the verdict of Honorable Supreme Court of
                    India and teaching of the late laminated fathers.)

                    Above all Orthodoxy is not a religion it is a way of life, which
                    taught us by the Almighty and his Apostle.

                    In my personal opinion if a layman accept the Holy Bread and Holy
                    Wine with the stern believe that what he receiving is the Body &
                    Blood of the Almighty he will be benefited from it regardless it is
                    given by whom (within apostolic church)?

                    If a Malankara Syrian Christian receives the Holy Communion from
                    Patriarch or Catholicose with out the true believe, that will be only
                    a "Godampappm and Munthiri Charu".

                    How many of us respect the Holy Bread and Wine? How many of us
                    participated the Holy Qurbono from the beginning of the Liturgy? How
                    many of us know what happening their? How many of us know what
                    happening during the "Anpudayooney….." singing? I notice many people
                    take this short period for a rest. One more thing which I noticed
                    (includes me) we stand with a lazy mood with typical "Kiyee Ketty
                    Nilpu" even on "Ezhinnallipu".

                    For all these things I cant blame my church. We should blame our
                    parents and godparents for it. And partially the Priesthood also has
                    to be blamed. Nowadays majority of them are not interested the Gospel
                    works instead of they are interested so called "Jeeva Karunya
                    Pravarthanagal", were they can get public image, name and so on….

                    So let us rectify our self before blaming our Church & Holy Synod.
                    Because we are Church. Without us no Church.

                    Thomas Daniel

                    --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "thomas_pa1" <thomas_pa1@y...> wrote:

                    > So, to answer Daniel, it is true that His Holiness Patriarch's
                    > agreement means only communion in certain situations. But, knowing
                    > our people, I can predict for sure that eventually younger
                    generation
                    > (especially those living outside Kerala) will go to RCC because
                    > of shorter service. Also there is no singing and other participation
                    > of laity in RCC liturgy.

                    > -Thomas
                  • John Philip
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 15, 2002

                      Thomas_ Pal  brother,

                       In your last response to me, you severely criticized all our SyrianFathers.  Here again you are criticizing only our bishops. Why you are not looking into your own community instead of digging into others.  Do you think everyone in your church are ok.  Can you deny the fact that even your church have reservations about many of your highest dignitaries.  In this era of switching loyalties for material gains, do you know there is a Very Important person in your Church who has stopped going to the Church itself.  Do you really wants to know why ?, Please come here at Kottayam and contact your top Church dignitary and enquire who is it & why ?  Remember he has not switched sides, but stopped going to Churches and avoids all the Priests and Bishops.  This may eventually happen  among the entire Orthodox Christians of Kerala, if some continue to encroach their neighbors for material gains.

                      You critisize us for so called aristocratic rich persons in our Church who creates problems.  Whatever you tries to say, the Malankarites knows very well in which group this so called aristocratic group belongs and their role in manipulating everything, for their perosnal gains.  You come here to Kottayam and verify whether anyone in our Church had occupied any of the Church properties.  Now check if there are anyone in your Church with that culture.  Come to Kottayam and ask your leadership.

                      Now one more thing, you criticize us saying that we are appreciating only the foreign (what is foreign?) fathers.  Every one here knows the fact that, we have many other Holy Fathers in India, like  Pulikottil Thirumeni, Parumala Thirumeni, Kadavil Thirumeni, Ambattu Thirumeni, Paulose Mor Koorilose Thirumeni , Athansius Valiya Thirumeni , late Catholica Baselious Paulose II Bawa, late Koorilose Thirumeni and many others.  You just come over here to India and enquire how we consider them. For persons like you, we are only after the foreigners, that's the mistake you always try to conclude.  Who really are the foreigners ? You or me?
                      Now whatever you tries to argue, the fact is that that atleast some of the Syrian fathers have suffered much, which is accepted by the forefathers of all the people of the two Orthodox Churches in India.  If you have any doubt read once again the extract from the biography published by Manorama.   In a book by a priest published from your Kottayam Seminary a few years back, he criticized Pulikottil Thirumeni for his support of Antiochean fathers, but at the same time he is avoiding criticizing Parumala Thirumeni who was Pulikottil Thirumeni's closest aide and Patriarch's secretary and closest companion, and a strong supporter of all the decisions taken by the Patriarch.  So why you criticize Pulikottil Thirumeni only ? you and every one knows the reason.  Do you know Parumala Thirumeni had appeared in the local court continuously for 14 days.  What he has declared there is a historical record which is available in court records. It is certainly not the faith of the present Independent groups.

                      Anyhow let us all stop these arguments, which in no way, either of us will win, but only increase the enmity.  If you want to continue with your silly arguments, please respond it in your forums, there are many persons to listen and appreciate you.  Please, avoid us.  We are poor Syrian Christians of Kerala.  In this way we can be good neighbors.

                      END.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 15, 2002
                        Dear Reji,
                        I fully agree with many of your observations and yet there is a little difference.
                        I would share my experience. Truly, I came�into the priesthood through gospel speech. More clearly, my then vicar use to offer me chance to speak once in a while. People then used to appreciate by fabulous words. But when I�became a priest people's attitude changed. I used to�confuse if I had changed. The fact is people do not like to hear gospel. The first and only complaint about me is that my speeches are long. People do not have patience to hear much The first instruction I received from the honorable faithful - rather administrators - is that gospel should not exceed 10 minutes. Even that 10 minutes speech should be only certain statements like "Neethisaram." Service should be cut short, etc. Nowadays people are more educated and affluent than priests in most cases and they think the priest has no right to�advise/correct them and gospel in its true spirit invariably involves certain amount of advise and correction�and call spade a spade.�The priests are mere paid servants and ironically in our church and in this diocese (USA) especially�no priest is paid a salary. Maximum is a hundred dollar per service in most cases. In other words, they are merely "Kurbanathozhilalikal." I doubt how this generation shall escape the wrath of God and if you say so you will be evicted out. In this pathetic situation blaming priests alone will not be fair. Honestly, I am the one regretting having taken up this robe and cannot do anything. Love, Johnachan.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                          Dear freind,
                          This is not theology.This is just psycology.What I see
                          is a sort of mixed hatred.Like ,your loved thing in
                          with someone.You are burning with that feeling.Inside
                          you the genetic jacobite feeling is there.But now you
                          have taken up the new indian orthodox identity.
                          Which you yourself feel is not the real one.Step
                          Father cannot be the real father.
                          So ddonot fight this false fight you get hurt.
                          What we were taught by our fathers are to be believed
                          and accepted.There is nothing better outside.We are
                          thomas,mathais,kuriakose etc from the day xtians are
                          in Kerala.I donot want bto change names.
                          Regards

                          --- thomas_pa1 <thomas_pa1@...> wrote:
                          > Dear Achen, Forgive me. Don't give me any special
                          > respect because
                          > my parent if from Malankara Jacobite side. Treat me
                          > just like
                          > you want to treat a Malankara Orthodox Christian or
                          > the way you
                          > want to treat an Indian Christian.
                          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                        • thomas_pa1
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 21, 2002
                            But now you
                            > have taken up the new indian orthodox identity.
                            > Which you yourself feel is not the real one.Step
                            > Father cannot be the real father.
                            > So ddonot fight this false fight you get hurt.
                            > What we were taught by our fathers are to be believed
                            > and accepted.There is nothing better outside.We are
                            > thomas,mathais,kuriakose etc from the day xtians are
                            > in Kerala.I donot want bto change names.
                            > Regards

                            Names like Oommen, Chacko, etc. are pure Indian names.
                            We started using English first names only after
                            CMS missionaries in India. Before this we used names
                            like Chandy, Itty, Kochummen, chacko etc. You will not
                            find such names in any other part of the world. Regarding
                            ancestry, it is well written in my family history (the Pakalomattom
                            one) that our ancestor was an Indian Brahmin. So there
                            is no confusion here.

                            But, in Orthodox confession, ethnicity is not important.
                            This means equal importance to all ethnicities without
                            reecting one's own God given identity. Our Indian identity
                            is God given and hence blessed. We remember Coptic fathers
                            like St. Cyril, St. Diascoros, not because of their Coptic
                            ethincity, but because of their faith.

                            There is no mixed emotions or confusion here. My confusion
                            is about the way chevaliers's behaved to me in Kerala.
                            As a young man, I am too worried about these chevaliers'
                            splitting Malankara church for personal gains and destroying
                            their real identiy. Knanaya is now going away based on their
                            Syrian identity.

                            Pray and work for unity based on Orthodox confession. One Malankara
                            Synod is better than numerous divisions. I want all relatives to be
                            under one Holy Synod. This will bring lots of peace in family
                            life.

                            Thomas