Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Oct 27, 2011
      READ: Leviticus 19:11-18

      You shall not go about as a talebearer among your people. —Leviticus 19:16
      When Shayla McKnight applied for a job for an online printing company, she
      was surprised to learn that they had a zero-tolerance policy for gossip. The employees are encouraged to confront one another, instead of gossip about their fellow employees. If employees are caught gossiping, they
      are reprimanded, and if they continue, they are fired.
      Long before this kind of policy was ever implemented by a company, God spoke of His own zero-tolerance policy for gossip and slander among His
      people (Lev. 19:16). Idle talk that foolishly or maliciously spreads
      rumors or facts about another person was forbidden.
      Solomon said that speaking badly of others could have disastrous effects. It
      betrays confidence (Prov. 11:13), separates close friends (16:28; 17:9), shames and saddles you with a bad reputation (25:9-10), and perpetually fuels the embers of a quarrel (26:20-22). People rarely can undo the
      damage their untrue words have done to a neighbor.
      Let’s ask the Lord to help us not to engage in harmful talk about others. He
      wants us to set a guard over our mouths so that we’ll instead speak all
      the good we know about everybody. —Marvin Williams
      Many things that others say
      Are not for us to tell;
      Help us, Lord, to watch our
      tongue—
      We need to guard it well. —Branon
      Destroy gossip by ignoring it.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.