Eugnostos, the Blessed

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Mar 30, 2003
      From Eugnostos, the Blessed, to his Disciples
      (Authored sometime during the First Century BC)

      Rejoice in this, that you know. Greetings! I want you to know that
      all men born from the foundation of the world until now are dust.
      While they have inquired about God, who he is and what he is like,
      they have not found him. The wisest among them have speculated about
      the truth from the ordering of the world. And the speculation has not
      reached the truth. For the ordering is spoken of in three (different)
      opinions by all the philosophers; hence they do not agree. For some
      of them say about the world that it was directed by itself. Others,
      that it is providence (that directs it). Others, that it is fate. But
      it is none of these. Again, of three voices that I have just
      mentioned, none is true. For whatever is from itself is an empty
      life; it is self-made. Providence is foolish. Fate is an undiscerning
      thing.

      Whoever, then, is able to get free of these three voices I have just
      mentioned and come by means of another Voice to confess the God of
      Truth and agree in everything concerning him, he is immortal dwelling
      in the midst of mortal men.

      He-Who-Is is ineffable. No principle knew him, no authority, no
      subjection, nor any creature from the foundation of the world, except
      he alone. For he is immortal and eternal, having no birth; for
      everyone who has birth will perish. He is unbegotten, having no
      beginning; for everyone who has a beginning has an end. No one rules
      over him. He has no name; for whoever has a name is the creation of
      another. He is Nameless. He has no human form; for whoever has
      human form is the creation of another. He has his own semblance - not
      like the semblance we have received and seen, but a strange semblance
      that surpasses all things and is better than the totalities. It looks
      to every side and sees itself from itself. He is infinite; he is
      incomprehensible. He is ever imperishable (and) has no likeness (to
      anything). He is unchanging good. He is faultless. He is everlasting.
      He is blessed. He is unknowable, while he (nonetheless) knows
      himself. He is immeasurable. He is untraceable. He is perfect, having
      no defect. He is imperishably blessed. He is called 'Father of the
      Universe'.

      -- From, Eugnostos the Blessed, "The Nag Hammadi Library In English,"
      Edited by James M. Robinson, Harper Collins
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all
        regards