Orthodox Perspective on Evolution; Un-official

  • Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2011
      Orthodox Perspective on Evolution; Un-official

      From what I learned from Mor Paulose Gregorius of good memory; verbally as a young lawyer in Delhi in the 80s and from his writings is that the Orthodox Church follows the doctrines of the Cappadokkian Fathers.� They include St. Basil the Great, Basil's brother Gregory and Gregory Nazianzen. In very simple terms they uphold the fundamental principle of the scripture Truth shall set you free�. So, all scientific discoveries are allowed in pursuit of truth.� The conclusions are not final.� We need to say that the conclusions are based on the existing information which would be changed according to new lights and inventions.�

      The western church which is more Pauline in nature follows the doctrines of Augustine. They had to persecute a lot of scientists. Anything in contradiction with the existed knowledge of the church hierarchy was forbidden. They believed that the church chief had frequent communication with God. I do not know. I thought the idea of Immaculate Conception, Purgatory and the Millennium Rule are all pointing to that direction.

      Once I had a chat with a brain surgeon in Boston. He said doctors know only 35 percent of how the brain works. The one who knows something about the brain is one Dr. Mathai from Velloore.� The idea is that we claim we know. The truth is that we do not know that we do not know because we do not know.

      "A good scientist is a humble and listening scientist and not one that is sure 100 percent in what he read in the textbooks," Dan Shechtman.
      With Love

      Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob