Malankara World Journal Issue 33 (Oct 6, 2011) is now online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2011
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 33 (dated October, 2011) is now available online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_33_October-6-2011.htm

      In Kothamangalam, the feast of Dhukrono for our Patron Saint Yeldho Mor Baselios has just concluded. As in the past devotees flocked to Kothamangalam for the perunnal; many of them walking several miles in pilgrimage to seek the saint's intercession. Baselios Church, Ohio will be concluding the festivities this weekend in Ohio.

      October 4 is also the day we remember St. Francis of Assissi. I can never get over his prayer, "Lord, make me am instrument of your peace," which is a perennial favorite of just about everyone I know. It is the best example of our submission to God just as Jesus taught us, "Thy will be done."

      Andrew Murray's lesson this week is about using the Gift of Holy Spirit. Jesus spoke of the Spirit as the promise of the Father, the one promise in which God's Fatherhood revealed itself. The best gift a good and wise father can bestow on a child on earth is his own spirit.

      We also have a super devotional based on Isaiah 55:8,9. This passage from the bible gives me goose bumps every time I hear it, " For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." If we can remember this verse, we can understand why God sometimes seem to take to long to answer our prayers. God is different than us. God's mercy is boundless. Man's thoughts are of time, and God's, of eternity. Man's thoughts are of self, and God's, of the creatures of His hand. Man thinks of what he can get, and God, of what He can give... You must read this devotional and, especially, the confession at the end. Read it often. It is a gem.

      To people in the Northern Hemisphere like United States, this month marks the advent of the autumn season. The days get shorter and the sunlight is replaced by darkness. People get depressed, especially those who are susceptible to Seasonal Affective Disorder. To Bonnie Gray, this is the best time of the year. Why? We are often too busy in summer to enjoy. Things slow down when the leaves start falling. "Just as Autumn brings the beauty of falling leaves, going outdoors frees us to shed busyness and draw closer to God and each other. When we take the time to leave the four walls where we make a life, we give ourselves permission to stop and enjoy the life we've been given." It is a great article.

      Bill Gates gave a speech at a High School about eleven (11) things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings, created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world. This short speech should be posted in every school or in kids' bedroom. Make sure that your kids read it.

      Finally, we have an update on the epic program 'Catholicism - A Journey to the Heart of Faith' produced by Father Robert Barron and his team from Word in Fire Ministry to be shown on PBS and EWTN. We have a list of PBS stations that carry the program in USA. We also have excerpted from a fascinating interview with Robert Barron. Who knows? May be one of the days, our (Syrian Orthodox) church will also embark on producing a series like this to show the outside world our rich heritage and liturgy. Our liturgy, which is the best in the world in my opinion, is a closely held secret within our church.

      May the intercession of Baselios Bava be with us.
      -----

      Table of Contents: Malankara World Journal Issue 33

      Editor's Note

      Bible Readings for This Sunday

      Sermons for This Sunday

      Inspiration for Today

      Featured This Week: St. Baselios Yeldho - Kothamangalam Bava

      Book Excerpt: Lesson 7: 'How much more the Holy Spirit' Or The All-Comprehensive Gift

      Prayer of Saint Francis of Assissi

      Praying and Planning - Which Comes First?

      'Catholicism' - An Epic Series on Christianity to be Aired on PBS

      Fall - A Season to Grow Closer to God and to Each Other

      Humor: English - Absolutely Hilarious/Brilliant!

      Family: Bill Gates: Reality of Life for High Schoolers

      About Malankara World

      ----

      Sermons for This Sunday (Oct 9)

      This week's Gospel reading is from St. Luke 16:13-18.

      Jesus continues his discourses in bringing out the insincerity of Pharisees. Earlier he had talked accumulating wealth. No man can serve two masters. If your heart is on worldly things, then it is hard to serve God. Pharisees worked hard to show to people that they are good; however, their hearts are filled with evil. God knows our hearts.

      Because this part if tied up to the earlier discourse about serving mammon (worldly things), our bible analysis and commentary includes Luke 1-12 as it provides the necessary background information to this week's passage. Luke 16:9 is an especially harder verse to understand.

      Please study the commentaries, gospel analyses and sermons here:

      Sermons for the Fourth Sunday After Sleebo

      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_4th-sunday-after-Sleebo.htm
      ----

      Inspiration for Today

      "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." St. Francis of Assissi

      "Be kind to every person you meet. For every person is fighting a great battle." St. Ephraim

      "He will not share His glory and He will NOT be mocked! Blessed be the name of the Lord forever." Bob Dylan

      "Show me one who loves: he knows what I mean." St. Augustine

      "With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

      ----

      Prayer of Saint Francis of Assissi

      Lord, make me am instrument of your peace
      Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
      Where there is injury, pardon;
      Where there is doubt, faith;
      Where there is despair, hope;
      Where there is darkness, light;
      and where there is sadness, joy.

      O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
      to be consoled as to console;
      to be understood as to understand
      to be loved as to love.

      For it is in giving that we receive;
      it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
      and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

      Amen.

      Saint Francis was born in Assisi, Italy in 1182. He lived and preached a life of poverty and love of God to all men. He founded the religious Order of the Franciscans; with St. Clare, he founded the Order of the Poor Clares; and the Third Order for lay people. He died in 1226. St. Francis is remembered on October 4.

      ----

      Family: Reality of Life for High Schoolers

      by Bill Gates

      This should be posted in every school or in kids' bedroom.
      Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about eleven (11) things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings, created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.
      Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this!

      Rule 1:
      Life is not fair - get used to it!

      Rule 2:
      The world doesn't care about your self-esteem.
      The world will expect you to accomplish something
      BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

      Rule 3:
      You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school.
      You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

      Rule 4:
      If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss

      Rule 5:
      Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity.
      Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping:
      They called it opportunity.

      Rule 6:
      If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault,
      so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

      Rule 7:
      Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring
      as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,
      cleaning your clothes and listening to you
      talk about how cool you thought you were.
      So before you save the rain forest
      from the parasites of your parents' generation,
      try delousing the closet in your own room.

      Rule 8:
      Your school may have done away
      with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT.
      In some schools, they have abolished failing grades
      and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want
      to get the right answer.
      This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance
      to ANYTHING in real life.

      Rule 9:
      Life is not divided into semesters.
      You don't get summers off and very few employers
      are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF.
      Do that on your own time.

      Rule 10:
      Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually
      have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

      Rule 11:
      Be nice to nerds.
      Chances are you'll end up working for one.
      ----

      Read the rest of the articles in this issue online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_33_October-6-2011.htm

      Please tell your friends and acquaintances about MW Journal and Malankara World website. Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew

      Malankara World
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/