Re: Ahimelech or Abiathar

  • V T John Nalunnakal
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2011
      I may intervene with the following:-

      While reporting the incident in I Samuel 21, it is stated that Ahimelech is a PRIEST and while our Lord recalls the incident (vide Mark 2.26)specifically, He states that Abiathar is the HIGH PRIEST. There is no difficulty to assume that Ahimelech and Abiathar are contemporaries. We can say: "In the days of H H Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakha I" in an article relating to the History of the Church in India and change the same as "In the days of H B Catholicos Aaboon Mor Basalius Thomas I"

      V T John
      ID 3085
    • Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
        Ahimelech or Abiathar

        I thought the period was prior to the building of the first temple in Jerusalem; which was built by Solomon.� Before the Arch was placed inside the temple; wasn't that there were more high priests in regions? I do not know. I thought I read in some bible commentaries that Ahimelech was the high priest of Nob.  It appears that the sword of Goliath which was used by David was in this high priest's custody and this high priest had authority to keep people in custody.� Did any sadha priest could do that?� I do not know.

        Also I thought that after the roman destruction of the temple of Jerusalem, the office of high priest came to an end as we say it in Passion Week.� They need a heifer (a red cow) that has to be sacrificed and the ashes to be sprinkled on a Kohn (of Aaronic decent) to consecrate one. I thought I read about this in a Temple Society's book.

        With Love
        Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
        Boston