Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Sep 30, 2011
      READ: Amos 4:7-13

      Prepare to meet your God! —Amos 4:12
      In his book Long for This World, Jonathan Weiner writes about science’s promise to radically extend how
      long we live. At the center of the book is English scientist Aubrey de
      Grey, who predicts that science will one day offer us 1,000-year
      lifespans. Aubrey claims that molecular biology has finally placed a
      cure for aging within our reach.
      But what difference does it make if, after living 1,000 years, we will
      eventually die anyway? De Grey’s prediction only postpones facing the
      ultimate question of what happens when we die. It does not answer it.
      The
      Scriptures tell us that death is not the end of our existence. Instead, we are
      assured that everyone will stand before Christ—believers for their works and nonbelievers for their rejection of Him (John 5:25-29; Rev.
      20:11-15). All of us are sinners and in need of forgiveness. And only
      Christ’s death on the cross has provided forgiveness for all who believe (Rom. 3:23; 6:23). The Bible says, “It is appointed for men to die
      once, but after this the judgment” (Heb. 9:27).
      Our appointed face-to-face encounter with God puts everything in
      perspective. So whether we live 70 years or 1,000, the issue of eternity is the same: “Prepare to meet your God!” (Amos 4:12). —Dennis Fisher
      What matters more than length of life
      Is where you’ll spend eternity;
      If you have placed your faith in Christ,
      Then heaven’s glory you will see. —Sper
      Only those who have placed their faith in Christ are prepared to meet their Maker.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.