Ahimelech or Abiathar

  • Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2011
      Abiathar and Ahimelech

      The change may be a difference in pronunciation after a long period of time from the days of David to the days of Jesus. We notice that kind of difference when we listen to the Aramaic of the Jews and our Syriac.

      What fascinated me is that the other Sunday when I came across 1st Samuel 21, the words I hear at the final benediction the food for the Journey� (vazhy-aharam) echoing in my ears. David was asking this high priest of Nob; Ahimelech for food for the journey for himself and his companions. Amazingly David asked for FIVE loaves of bread. Is it not the five loaves that our Lord multiplied for the five thousand? The high priest replied that all he had was the hallowed bread which was in the presence of almighty God. Is it not our Lord who came down from God the Father? Is it not the bread that our Lord asked us to eat in John: 6.

      The condition to receive it was to be clean. Though un-cleanliness is referred to as keeping away from female according to the existed Judaic system, the statement made by David that they are clean for three days and that the females are away from them is also note worthy. So, if we keep ourselves from sin, then sin will keep away from us too. As said by David today� (receiving the bread) we become cleaner. The food reserved for the priests only is given to us as we become priests by anointment of the chrism after baptism.

      The sword offered to David is also interesting. It is behind the "ephod". Is not the "amnikho"� breast plate that our Achens wear? So, if the sword (weapon) for our journey is the Word of God, then we have to learn the word from the clergy. Is it why we pray every Sunday "satya vachanathe sariyayi padippikkunna idayanmare athil ezhunnelpikkaname". I do not know. I never went to a seminary or school of theology.

      Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
      Boston
    • V T John Nalunnakal
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2011
        I may intervene with the following:-

        While reporting the incident in I Samuel 21, it is stated that Ahimelech is a PRIEST and while our Lord recalls the incident (vide Mark 2.26)specifically, He states that Abiathar is the HIGH PRIEST. There is no difficulty to assume that Ahimelech and Abiathar are contemporaries. We can say: "In the days of H H Patriarch Moran Mor Ignatius Zakha I" in an article relating to the History of the Church in India and change the same as "In the days of H B Catholicos Aaboon Mor Basalius Thomas I"

        V T John
        ID 3085
      • Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
          Ahimelech or Abiathar

          I thought the period was prior to the building of the first temple in Jerusalem; which was built by Solomon.� Before the Arch was placed inside the temple; wasn't that there were more high priests in regions? I do not know. I thought I read in some bible commentaries that Ahimelech was the high priest of Nob.  It appears that the sword of Goliath which was used by David was in this high priest's custody and this high priest had authority to keep people in custody.� Did any sadha priest could do that?� I do not know.

          Also I thought that after the roman destruction of the temple of Jerusalem, the office of high priest came to an end as we say it in Passion Week.� They need a heifer (a red cow) that has to be sacrificed and the ashes to be sprinkled on a Kohn (of Aaronic decent) to consecrate one. I thought I read about this in a Temple Society's book.

          With Love
          Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
          Boston