Joseph the Visionary: On Spiritual Prayer, Part Three

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Mar 24, 2003
      Joseph the Visionary: On Spiritual Prayer, Part Three

      ....In his ineffable grace he prepared for us Another World full of
      every imaginable good thing, decreeing for us the gift of
      resurrection by means of which we shall be raised up from the
      passions of mortality, and will become incorruptible, immortal,
      unchangeable, impassible, and without needs, being continuously
      raised up with him in an understanding of his Mysteries and in the
      Glorious Vision of him.

      Thus as a result of recollecting all these things the impulses of the
      mind are extended from the sphere of material things towards those
      impulses which are without limit, that is to say, wonder at the New
      World, and the faculty of vision which belongs to contemplation of
      the Holy Trinity. For when the vision of the mind is mingled with the
      Light of the glorious Trinity, all its impulses become infinite. For
      none of the Visionaries or 'Gnostics' is able to distinguish the
      identity of the mind as a result of the vision of that glorious Light
      that is seen of the Holy Trinity, for all the innermost chambers of
      the heart are filled by that blessed Light, and there are no shapes
      or forms or anything material, or number or colour; rather that Light
      who cannot be separated out into shapes and forms is single owing to
      the simpleness of the faculty of sight.

      This too I have to tell you: at such a time there is no longer any
      kind of movement there, or any kind of thought, or any kind of mental
      process, only a state of wonder that is beyond all mental processes,
      impulses, or thoughts. This is the pledge of the good things that are
      to come, which have been prepared through the mediation of our Lord
      Jesus Christ for the human race; that is to say, for all rational
      beings, as a result of the abundance of the compassion of the revered
      Father, who created us when we did not exist, and allowed us to share
      in a knowledge of his glory, so that we might become like him, having
      no end for ever, and that we might enjoy his glory. May he in his
      mercy make us all worthy of his glorious vision -- here in pledge,
      but there in reality. Amen.

      -- Joseph the Visionary, The Syriac Fathers on Prayer and the
      Spiritual Life, translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by
      Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all
        regards