Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Sep 29, 2011
      READ: Ephesians 2:11-22

      He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation. —Ephesians 2:14
      While visiting the ruins of Hadrian’s Wall in Northern England, I reflected
      on the fact that this may be the most remembered achievement of the
      Roman emperor who came to power in ad 117. As many as 18,000 Roman soldiers manned this 80-mile-long barrier, built to keep the northern barbarians from invading the south.
      Hadrian is remembered for building a physical wall to keep people out. In
      contrast, Jesus Christ is remembered for tearing down a spiritual wall
      to let people in.
      When the early church experienced tension between believers of
      Jewish and non-Jewish birth, Paul told them that, through Christ, they
      stood equally in the family of God. “For He Himself is our peace, who
      has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation . . . so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making
      peace . . . . For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the
      Father” (Eph. 2:14-15,18).
      One of the most beautiful aspects of the Christian faith is the unity among those who follow Jesus. Through His death on the cross, Christ has
      removed the barriers that so often separate people and has drawn us
      together in true friendship and love. —David McCasland
      God’s people have so
      much to do
      In serving Christ today
      That they should use their precious time
      To share, to love, to pray. —Branon
      Christian unity begins at the cross.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.