Joseph the Visionary: On Spiritual Prayer, Part Two

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1039 , Mar 24, 2003
      Joseph the Visionary: On Spiritual Prayer, Part Two

      By the same, concerning the operation of the impulses which arise in
      the mind during the time of prayer: which are material, and which are
      immaterial and which are uncircumscribed and without form.

      During the time of prayer the soul resembles a ship positioned in the
      middle of the sea. The mind is like the steersman in charge of the
      boat. The impulses convey the boat like the winds.

      Just as it is the case that not all the winds that blow are suitable
      for the course of the ship, similarly, with the impulses that are
      aroused in the soul during the time of prayer, not all are suitable
      for the ship's course, enabling it without any cause for fear to
      reach harbour, safe from the waves. Rather, some of them are
      suitable, whereas others are not. The latter imprint in the soul some
      material form, and these hinder the course of the boat of the mind,
      the steersman preventing it reaching the harbour he is aiming for.
      The former impulses stirred up in the soul during prayer are
      immaterial: these are the gentle breezes which convey the ship of the
      soul over the waves to a harbour that is totally restful.

      There are yet other impulses that arise during prayer, accompanied by
      Light: these are called 'uncircumscribed'; they are neither material
      nor immaterial, but uncircumscribed, as I have just said; for not all
      immaterial impulses are also uncircumscribed. For the holy angels and
      the nature of our souls are immaterial, but they are by no means also
      uncircumscribed; for they are immaterial things subject to
      circumscription, whereas out of all things there is only one who is
      uncircumscribed. Now the impulses which concern that Being are
      uncircumscribed -- just as the prophet said: there is no limit to his
      understanding [Psalm 147: 5].

      Material impulses consist in all the understandings that are stirred
      up in the soul through the medium of the body's senses. These are
      material, and they are harmful to the soul's course during the time
      of prayer. Even though at other times they may be advantageous,
      nevertheless during the time of prayer they cause the soul harm. This
      is because during the time of prayer only the immaterial impulses
      direct the soul towards those that are without limit.

      The immaterial impulses consist in the hidden spiritual knowledge
      concealed in the natural created world, wonderful insights concerning
      incorporeal contemplation, and insights arising from the
      contemplation of Providence's judgment. All these impulses may occur
      during the time of prayer, and these are immaterial. Therefore every
      time they are revealed to the mind during prayer, they give a sweet
      taste to the mind's palate, like a honey-comb, and they kindle all
      the faculties of both soul and body with their warmth....

      -- Joseph the Visionary, The Syriac Fathers on Prayer and the
      Spiritual Life, translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by
      Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications
    • Jaison
      Message 1039 of 1039 , Sep 21, 2011
        Dear all
        regards