EVOLUTION THEORY-UNOFFICIAL

  • Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2011
      EVOLUTION THEORY- UNOFFICIAL

      The theory is very interesting and I do understand that I would get some punches back. The norm of survival of the fittest has already
      proved to be baseless as we see many fittest perishing and many fragile like me surviving. When we look at evolution, what do we see?Is it a guided evolution or an evolution at random? If we see this guided evolution, who is guiding it? Are we not evolving towards some state in all parts of the globe?�

      When I read the story of Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel: 4 and the people who built the Babel tower in Genesis, I was shocked to see the similarities. Both wanted a name for themselves. We read that the Babel tower people could not understand each other. If they only lost their language skills, why couldn't they recognize each other and had to spread? Did they become Neanderthals like Nebuchadnezzar? Nebuchadnezzar turned to a wild beast for seven years. Is not seven a fullness of time? I do not know.

      When we discover million year old human fossils, does that mean we lost in Babel and are coming back to our original grace in which we were created?

      When the physicists are saying that everything is gravity in one sentence and in the next sentence they say that matter did not exist in the beginning, then who was pulling who by gravity? When the law itself says unless influenced by an external force�, are we not saying that there is an external force in the laws of physics itself?

      With Love,

      Dn. Monsy Manimalethu Jacob
      Boston
    • Zach George Arapura
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2011
        Reverend Deacon,

        I am glad that you have taken the time to read my post and decided to make a contribution to the discussion.

        Let me start off my rejoinder by saying that I don't intend this discussion to be a boxing match :-)

        In the phrase `survival of the fittest', in the context of the theory of evolution, is not to be taken in the literal sense. It can mean the survival of the most intelligent, cooperative, and adjustable, etc. So, it is not as baseless as you might think. Furthermore, natural selection is only one of the mechanisms of evolution. There are other contributory factors like mutation, migration and genetic drift.
        Natural selection seeks to eliminate the less fit genetic variations in a population. It doesn't look for perfection. Genetic variations that provide for reproduction and survival are likely to be selected than others which do not. Heredity also factors in this selection. So, one can safely say Natural selection is anything but random. Natural selection is just a process, based on certain principles, which doesn't require a guiding hand to function.

        I am sorry that I couldn't grasp you analogy of Nebuchadnezzar and the tower of Babel.
        I am also a bit surprised that you mixed in the law of gravitation, newton's first law and the big bang theory into a discussion about the evolution theory.

        My query was simple, whether the Church condemns the theory of evolution or not. It was not about the existence of god. Nowhere in the theory of evolution does it say that the possibility of an omnipresent being is to be discounted. The theory of evolution only contradicts Genesis not the existence of God.

        I would like to end by quoting Max Planck "As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."

        Sincerely,
        Zach George Arapura