Re: Why IOC Opposes Referundum in the Disputed Churches

  • C. V. Baby
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2011
      I simply do not agree to Joshy Paul's conclusion that only the court order can resolve the Sabha Case. When it is coming to faith and spiritual matters, I do not think any court in the world can pass an authentic order. It is the faith of the Jacobites that the priesthood in Malankara Church is a continuity from St. Peter through the then Patriarchs of Antiokh and accordingly Jacobites do not recognize the priesthood of IOCs, which comes through a "self declared" Catholicos and the Throne of St. Thomas! How can any court in India pass an order on the authenticity of "Kai veppu" or "priesthood" of IOC or Jacobites.

      Suppose someone approach a court in India with a petition that a priest cheated him with a piece of bread calling it as "flesh of Jesus". Maximum the court can send the piece of bread to a laboratory to test and we all know what would be the result. It becomes "flesh of Jesus" by FAITH and nothing else.

      If we look at the various Court orders in the Sabha cases, the views of different courts on the same issue were different - some in favour of Jacobites and some in favour of IOCs.

      I think the parish members should be the decision makers on the ownership of the church - If any church is forced to be handed over to the minority without taking proper care on the rights of the majority, the dispute and fights would remain forever.

      C.V. Baby
      ID # 4478