Why IOC Opposes Referundum in the Disputed Churches

  • PAUL Joshy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2011
      Dear All,

      Many of us believe that IOC opposes referundum in all the disputed
      churches, including Kolenchery because the property of the churches
      will be never in the hands if IOC leadership. Ofcource there is some
      truth in it. BUt my point is that the real is is something beyond the
      material issues relted to the individial churches.

      Rather a referendum affects the very existance of IOC. As all of us
      know that, IOC claim there is only one church in Malankara which has
      a history of 2000 years and had relationship with first Nestorian, and
      then with Antiochians and became indedpendant in 1912, but follow
      Atiochian liturgy. Exactly fron 1665 to 1912 it was under the
      patriacrch of Antioach that is why Malankara Sabha got its liturgy
      from Antioch. And Malankara Sabha wants to detach from Antioch in all
      matters, but few section still follow the Antiochian yoke.

      However, if a referndum takes place, first of all the disputed church
      will fall under the hands of Antiochian followeres (Jacobites). And
      will have to accept the fact that that there is onother church in
      Malankara.

      Secondly, it will show that they (Jacobites) are the true inheritors
      of the Antioch of the period of 1665-1912, so the legitimate claim
      for current liturgy of Malankara Sabha.

      Thirdly, future historians would predict that IOC was formed in 1912
      by a breakaway group of Anti- Antiochians, because currently there is
      one another church which has continued its relationship with Antioch
      even after the split of 1912.

      That IOC wants to avoid all this.

      So it will be difficult to resolve the Malankara Sabha issue through
      mediation and political will. Only court order will resolve the issue,
      because at any cost IOC will not accept a Jacobite church in
      Malankara.

      Joshy Paul
    • C. V. Baby
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2011
        I simply do not agree to Joshy Paul's conclusion that only the court order can resolve the Sabha Case. When it is coming to faith and spiritual matters, I do not think any court in the world can pass an authentic order. It is the faith of the Jacobites that the priesthood in Malankara Church is a continuity from St. Peter through the then Patriarchs of Antiokh and accordingly Jacobites do not recognize the priesthood of IOCs, which comes through a "self declared" Catholicos and the Throne of St. Thomas! How can any court in India pass an order on the authenticity of "Kai veppu" or "priesthood" of IOC or Jacobites.

        Suppose someone approach a court in India with a petition that a priest cheated him with a piece of bread calling it as "flesh of Jesus". Maximum the court can send the piece of bread to a laboratory to test and we all know what would be the result. It becomes "flesh of Jesus" by FAITH and nothing else.

        If we look at the various Court orders in the Sabha cases, the views of different courts on the same issue were different - some in favour of Jacobites and some in favour of IOCs.

        I think the parish members should be the decision makers on the ownership of the church - If any church is forced to be handed over to the minority without taking proper care on the rights of the majority, the dispute and fights would remain forever.

        C.V. Baby
        ID # 4478