Funeral song sung by H G Isaac Mor Osthatheos Metropolitan

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2011
      As far as I am aware, the song pertains to the funeral service of priests and bishops.

      Some of the lines are similar to the funeral song for women. Po-vuka sahajathe- ( O Sister go) had to be changed as Po-vuka sahajaatha (O brother go);  better would be Po-vuka aacharyaa

      We have separate thesmesto (office)  for the funeral of (1)  men, (2) women,(3) children and (4) the priests & bishops.. Some of    prayers are common for men and women whereby the priest and the singers have to change the gender of the words referring to the departed one as ninte daasan and ninte daasi etc. When singing, usually the change may not be fully correct especially with  Breek  haayo ( Mruthiye nukarnu ) due to ignorance or carelessness The irony is that the singing when entrusted to the electrical gadgets  the songs for a departed woman will be sung for a departed man and vice verse.

      Our Lord said " If they (disciples) are to keep quiet the stones will sing aloud" which means : When stones (electrical gadgets which are not living creatures) sing we will keep quiet.thereby the prayer songs become lifeless. If there is not a mind behind (or if there is no application of mind in) a prayer/song  the same will become mere sounds which our Lord will not take into account as prayers. So when the electrical gadgets sing we, humans should join; otherwise the songs will be mere eyewash.

      I conclude pointing out that the first name of our beloved thirumeni should be spelt as I-S-A-A-C   and not as  I S S A C

      V T John
      ID 3085