An apt vision amidst Kollecherry dispute

  • Rev. Thomas Ninan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2011
      Dear All

      Even as we look forward for peace in Kollencherry, I am challenged by this quote from Henri J.M. Nouwen to put it into practice amidst differences with our brethren,

      "When we claim our most intimate dependency on God, not as a curse but as a gift, then we can discover the freedom that allows us to confront our enemies, throw off the yoke of oppression and build social and economic structures that allow us to live as brothers and sisters, children of the one God whose name is love."

      I would like to propose this as an apt vision for our brethren from both our churches. I take this opportunity to appeal to all our leaders and brethren from both churches, particularly the people of Kollencherry to reflect consciously on this vision even as the deadlock enters the sixth day today, and take appropriate steps to bring peace between both our churches, for a better world tomorrow.

      With love and prayers
      Yours in Christ
      Fr.Thomas Ninan
      Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
    • Varugese C J
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2011
        Dear All,

        This follows Rev. Thomas Ninan's mail on the above subject. According to St. Paul there is enough room for all of us to live and let live as true followers of our Lord. We do not have to look no other sources for it. Just look in Roman 14:1-9 "Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters.

        2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

        3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.

        4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

        5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

        6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever
        eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

        7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone.

        8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

        9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living".

        When HH Didimos Bawa took the mantle of IOC, people believed that he could find a lasting solution to the burning issues of the Malankara Church. He was instrumental in bringing peace in the northen Diocease of Malabar by mutual understanding between the faithfuls, but once he entered into Devalokam, HH could not raise a finger towards achieving an amicable settlement. If an all powerful Malankara Metropolitan became helpless in such a serious issue, we should understand the undercurrents at Devalokam. Devalokam seems to become a "Devils-lokam" where no good will come from.

        Malankara Metropolitan, Catholicose and all such dignitories are influenced by an invisible hand. The sufferings and erosion of faithfuls are not at all a concern for that invisible hand. I feel pity over the crying of HH Didimos Bawa in Kolencherry. The poor soul might have realised his helplessness after coming out of Devalokam, and hence silently cried himself. HH might be crying everyday, but this time the media catched it and transmitted to the whole world. My dear fellow IOC-cians please soften your heart, and live in Christian Peace. The Kolencherry incident can be an eye opener to you all.

        If you are determined to harden your heart like people at the time of Noha, realize that God Almighty's hands haven't been shortened. Also realize God is giving you more time to humble yourself. Constituion-1934 and Judgments will not ensure you peace, but the words of our Lord "LOVE YOUR ENEMIES".

        We, Jacobites are not your enemies, and we want you all to be with us
        likewise our forefathers lived in this place with only one aim of praying and worshiping.

        But to put this into practice, one should have a will to accept others.

        Somewhere, someone is missing that sense of belongingness. Let us pray God Almighty to lighten up the darkened mind of few individuals, who are determined to be the advocate of Satan, who sows the seed of hatredness of truth

        Regards,
        CJ Varughese,
        # 1012