Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church - Missed opportunity of possible solution.
- Dear members,
It is paining to be a part either way of the turmoil in our Church.
I had suggested the following solution in 1995 to end the long pending conflict in Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church.
1. Re-establish the position of 'Malankara Metropolitan' as the prime head of Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church as the regional representative directly under spiritual leadership of H.H Patriarch of Universal Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch and all the East.
2. The two factions, Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church and Indian Orthodox Church, shall have individual Catholicose under 'Malankara Metropolitan'.
3. Statuesque of the churches shall be maintained and continued as existed in the year 1962 or any date before or after mutually agreeable, for another 20 years.
4. Ownership of the church property shall belong to the congregation and Governance of the churches shall be according to the decision of the General Body of the congregation.
5. Irrespective the ownership of Church property, or the status of the governing body, the priests and the laity shall be for inter communion, interact and attend Holy Qurbano and other religious rites in the churches according need and convenience, as being done now between the Jacobite and Knanaya churches in Malakara, outside Kerala and abroad.
5. Differences arising in the congregation regarding its governance shall be settled according to the majority decision of the General body while decision on spiritual control and issues shall be with the Catholicose.
6. Differences arising between the two factions at Catholicose level shall be settled by the Malakara metropolitan under the guidance of H.H. Patriarch of Antioch.
If the statuesque and the above decision of co-existence with mutual understanding and is allowed to continue without indulging litigation going to courts, the differences will die down and the Church will become one in due course. If both sides agree to this, the quarrel can be settled in a week.
SOCM # 3321