Our Daily Bread: Forwarded

    Message 1 of 153 , Sep 11, 2011
      READ: Psalm 31:9-15

      Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body! —Psalm 31:9
      Today marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the US on
      September 11, 2001. It’s hard to think about that date without mental
      images of the destruction, grief, and loss that swept over America and
      the world following those tragic events. The loss of thousands of lives
      was compounded by the depth of loss felt corporately—a lost sense of
      security as a country. The sorrow of loss, personal and corporate, will
      always accompany the memory of the events of that day.
      Those horrific events are not the only painful memories of September 11. It
      also marks the anniversary of my father-in-law’s death. Jim’s loss is
      felt deeply within our family and
      his circle of friends.
      No matter what kind of sorrow we experience, there is only one real
      comfort—the mercy of God. David, in his own heartache, cried to his
      heavenly Father, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye wastes away with grief, yes, my soul and my body!” (Ps. 31:9). Only in the mercy of God can we find comfort for our pain and peace for our troubled hearts.
      In all losses, we can turn to the true Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who alone can heal our brokenness and grief. —Bill Crowder
      We have a Friend
      who’ll never leave,
      Who’s closer than a brother;
      He’s there to meet our deepest needs,
      To comfort like no other. —Sper
      When God permits suffering, He also provides comfort.