Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Sep 8, 2011
      READ: Psalm 90:1-12

      Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. —Psalm 90:12
      In 1876, Henry Clay Work wrote the song “My Grandfather’s Clock.” The song describes a grandfather’s clock that faithfully ticks its way through
      its owner’s life. Childhood, adulthood, and old age are all viewed in
      relationship to his beloved timepiece. The refrain says:
      Ninety years without slumbering,
      Tick, tock, tick, tock,
      His life’s seconds numbering,
      Tick, tock, tick, tock,
      But it stopped, short,
      Never to go again,
      When the old man died.
      The relentless ticking of the clock reminds us that our time on earth is
      limited. Despite the joys and pains of life, time always marches on. For the believer, our time on earth is an opportunity for gaining wisdom.
      The psalmist writes, “Teach us to
      number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom” (Ps. 90:12).
      One way of numbering our days is to ask ourselves these kinds of questions: How can I become more like Christ? Am I reading the Word regularly? Am I devoting time to prayer? Am I meeting together with other believers?
      The way we answer these questions is an indicator of the progress we’re
      making in gaining wisdom and becoming more like Christ.
      No matter the phase of life—childhood, youth, middle age, or our senior
      years—life always affords us opportunities to grow in faith and wisdom.
      Numbering our days is the wise response to life’s inevitable progress.
      How are you progressing on your journey? —Dennis Fisher
      Don’t spend your time—invest it.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.