Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

  • Chev. Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

      Christ . . . was the only Son of Mary, and the Virgin Mary bore no children besides Him . . . I am inclined to agree with those who declare that 'brothers' really mean 'cousins' here, for Holy Writ and the Jews always call cousins brothers.
      {Pelikan, ibid., v.22:214-15 / Sermons on John, chaps. 1-4 (1539) }

      Collected by
      Chevalier Thomas Daniel (Reji)
    • Chev. Thomas Daniel
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
        Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

        A new lie about me is being circulated. I am supposed to have preached and written that Mary, the MOTHER OF GOD, was not a virgin either before or after the birth of Christ . . .
        {Pelikan, ibid.,v.45:199 / That Jesus Christ was Born a Jew (1523) }

        Collected by
        Chev. Thomas Daniel (Reji)
        # 0001
      • Chev. Thomas Daniel
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
          Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

          Scripture does not say or indicate that she later lost her virginity . . .
          When Matthew [1:25] says that Joseph did not know Mary carnally until she had brought forth her son, it does not follow that he knew her subsequently; on the contrary, it means that he never did know her . . . This babble . . . is without justification . . . he has neither noticed nor paid any attention to either Scripture or the common idiom.

          {Pelikan, ibid.,v.45:206,212-3 / That Jesus Christ was Born a Jew (1523) } Editor Jaroslav Pelikan (Lutheran) adds:

          Luther . . . does not even consider the possibility that Mary might have had other children than Jesus. This is consistent with his lifelong acceptance of the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary.

          {Pelikan, ibid.,v.22:214-5}

          Collected by
          Chev. Thomas Daniel
          # 0001
        • Chev. Thomas Daniel
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
            Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

            ". . . she is rightly called not only the mother of the man, but also the MOTHER OF GOD. . . . it is certain that Mary is the Mother of the real and true God."
            Ref: Sermon on John 14. 16: Luther's Works (St. Louis, ed. Jaroslav, Pelican, Concordia. vol. 24. p. 107)

            Collected by
            Chev. Thomas Daniel
            # 0001