Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Sep 2, 2011
      READ: Psalm 139:1-14

      I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. —Psalm 139:14
      When I was a kid, I had a hero: Pete Maravich, a high-scoring basketball player who handled the ball like a magician.
      Problem was, my desire to be like Pistol Pete blocked my satisfaction with who
      God made me to be. When I realized I could never play like Pete, I grew
      discouraged. I even quit my college team briefly because I couldn’t
      measure up to the Maravich standard.
      Kids still do that kind of thing. They grow unhappy with who God made them
      to be because they measure themselves by their “perfect” heroes.
      Christian singer Jonny Diaz recognized this and wrote a song called “More
      Beautiful You.” The song begins: “Little girl fourteen flipping through a magazine; says she wants to look that way.” Some young girls wish they
      could be like Disney star Selena Gomez or another star the way I wanted
      to be like Maravich. Diaz sings, “There could never be a more beautiful
      you; don’t buy the lies . . . ; you were made to fill a purpose that
      only you could do.” Diaz is saying what another songwriter said under
      the inspiration of God thousands of years ago: “[We are] fearfully and
      wonderfully made” (Ps. 139:14).
      God made us the way He wants us to be.
      Believe it. There could never be a more beautiful you. —Dave Branon
      Lord, we are Yours, You are our God;
      We have been made so wondrously;
      This human frame in every part
      Your wisdom, power, and love we see. —Anon.
      We are beautiful masterpieces designed by God.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.