Salute our heroes who died for Church and Nation - Malayalam Film URUMI .

  • Nebu Jacob
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31 10:22 PM
      Recently released Malayalam film URMI had done a great work to dig and explore the past of Kearla.It is very happy to see that SYRIAN CHRISTIAN's were being a part of the fight against the "Parangi" (Portuguese) and this fact is being brought into younger generation through this film. Portuguese has done a lot damages to our churches.

      The Portuguese arrived by sea in 1498, gradually established their power base and were eager to bring all Christians in the fold of the Church of Rome. With their superior organizational skill and with the help of Portuguese political power Bishop Alexis De Menzes succeeded in establishing the Roman Catholic Church as the dominant Church of Kerala. Between 1500 and 1650 the Portuguese made an effort to convert local inhabitants to the Roman Catholic faith and also bring some of the existing members of the Syrian Christian Church under Roman Catholic influence. The climax of this was what is known as "Synod of Udayamperur" . The Portuguese power declined by the 17th century. That weakened the influence of the Roman Catholic Church in Kerala

      Many of our people had been laid to rest by Portuguese; they died for keeping real faith. So why we want to go back the black era and again joining hands with Romans. Why we are not trying to bring back people into Syrian church, who left church and joined with Roman church?

      Thanks to Santhosh shivan(Director) and Kannan (Script writer) for bringing the history to people. I salute our heroes who dedicated life for our Nation and Church.

      Nebu Jacob
      St Marys Syrian Orthodox Church(Neelimangalam)
      Sydney.
      4133
    • S Chandy
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2011