Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

  • Chevalier Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 7:29 AM
      Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

      Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees . . . If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. (Sermon, Christmas, 1529).

      Collected by
      Chevalier Thomas Daniel (Reji)
      001
    • Chev. Thomas Daniel
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1 7:31 AM
        Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

        One should honor Mary as she herself wished and as she expressed it in the Magnificat. She praised God for his deeds. How then can we praise her? The true honor of Mary is the honor of God, the praise of God's grace . . . Mary is nothing for the sake of herself, but for the sake of Christ . . . Mary does not wish that we come to her, but through her to God. (Explanation of the Magnificat, 1521).

        Collected by
        Chev. Thomas Daniel (Reji)
      • Chev. Thomas Daniel
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1 7:33 AM
          Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

          Christ, our Savior, was the real and natural fruit of Mary's virginal womb . . . This was without the cooperation of a man, and she remained a virgin after that.
          (Luther's Works, eds. Jaroslav Pelikan -vols. 1-30)

          Collected by
          Chev. Thomas Daniel (Reji)
          # 0001
        • Chev. Thomas Daniel
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1 7:36 AM
            Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

            Christ . . . was the only Son of Mary, and the Virgin Mary bore no children besides Him . . . I am inclined to agree with those who declare that 'brothers' really mean 'cousins' here, for Holy Writ and the Jews always call cousins brothers.
            {Pelikan, ibid., v.22:214-15 / Sermons on John, chaps. 1-4 (1539) }

            Collected by
            Chevalier Thomas Daniel (Reji)
          • Chev. Thomas Daniel
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1 7:37 AM
              Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

              A new lie about me is being circulated. I am supposed to have preached and written that Mary, the MOTHER OF GOD, was not a virgin either before or after the birth of Christ . . .
              {Pelikan, ibid.,v.45:199 / That Jesus Christ was Born a Jew (1523) }

              Collected by
              Chev. Thomas Daniel (Reji)
              # 0001
            • Chev. Thomas Daniel
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1 7:39 AM
                Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

                Scripture does not say or indicate that she later lost her virginity . . .
                When Matthew [1:25] says that Joseph did not know Mary carnally until she had brought forth her son, it does not follow that he knew her subsequently; on the contrary, it means that he never did know her . . . This babble . . . is without justification . . . he has neither noticed nor paid any attention to either Scripture or the common idiom.

                {Pelikan, ibid.,v.45:206,212-3 / That Jesus Christ was Born a Jew (1523) } Editor Jaroslav Pelikan (Lutheran) adds:

                Luther . . . does not even consider the possibility that Mary might have had other children than Jesus. This is consistent with his lifelong acceptance of the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary.

                {Pelikan, ibid.,v.22:214-5}

                Collected by
                Chev. Thomas Daniel
                # 0001
              • Chev. Thomas Daniel
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1 7:41 AM
                  Martin Luther, Founder of the Reform, Speaks on St. Mary

                  ". . . she is rightly called not only the mother of the man, but also the MOTHER OF GOD. . . . it is certain that Mary is the Mother of the real and true God."
                  Ref: Sermon on John 14. 16: Luther's Works (St. Louis, ed. Jaroslav, Pelican, Concordia. vol. 24. p. 107)

                  Collected by
                  Chev. Thomas Daniel
                  # 0001