Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Aug 30, 2011
      READ: Galatians 2:15-21

      I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness. —2 Timothy 4:7-8
      The Ironman Triathlon consists of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride,
      and a 26.2-mile run. It is not an easy feat for anyone to accomplish.
      But Dick Hoyt participated in the race and completed it with his
      physically disabled son Rick. When Dick swam, he pulled Rick in a small
      boat. When Dick cycled, Rick was in a seat-pod on the bike. When Dick
      ran, he pushed Rick along in a wheelchair. Rick was dependent on his dad in order to finish the race. He couldn’t do it without him.
      We see a parallel between their story and our own Christian life. Just as
      Rick was dependent on his dad, we are dependent on Christ to complete
      our Christian race.
      As we strive to live a God-pleasing life, we realize that in spite of our
      best intentions and determination, we often stumble and fall short. By
      our strength alone, it is impossible. Oh, how we need the Lord’s help!
      And it has been provided. Paul declares it with these insightful words,
      “It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God” (Gal. 2:20).
      We cannot finish the Christian race on our own. We have to do so by depending on Jesus living in us. —Albert Lee
      With longing all my heart
      is filled
      That like Him I may be,
      As on the wondrous thought I dwell,
      That Christ liveth in me. —Whittle
      Faith connects our weakness to God’s strength.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.