Historic Church of St. George in Tripoli Ransacked

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2011
      The historic church of St. George located in Libya, in Tripoli, dating back to 1647 was ransacked. The church is the oldest Orthodox church in North Africa.

      The president of the Greek community, Dimitris Anastassiou transferred the news to the Metropolitan of Tripoli Mr. Theophylaktos, who has been in Greece since late June.

      “I am feeling heartbroken for what is happening in Libya, this beautiful country which was destroyed and whose people are noted for their hospitality,” stated Metropolitan of Tripoli, who settled in Libya in 1991.

      ”I was sad to hear the news from Mr. Anastassiou. The thieves stole the shrine of our patron saint which I had brought from Mount Athos. Old Gospels, chalices, cherubim, censers, one of which we had been given by the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. Those who stole the holy objects contacted the president of the community and asked for money in order to return them. Mr. Anastassiou reported the incident to the police, but as things are at the moment, noone will deal with this matter,” he said.

      Source:
      http://world.greekreporter.com/2011/08/25/historic-church-of-st-george-in-tripoli-ransacked/

      SOCM News Bureau - International Desk
    • Jomon Varghese
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2011
        Its started in Iraq, then in Egypt and now in Libya. very soon the same situation will be in Syria also. This is the aftereffect of the so called Christian West's monitiry interest.

        But God will safeguard the innocent believers.

        In Christ
        Jomon
        3980