rest your hope fully upon the grace

  • Shibu Podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2011
      rest your hope fully upon the grace�

      1 Peter 1:13: “Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

      The Amplified Bible renders this verse as: “So brace up your minds; be sober (circumspect, morally alert); set your hope wholly and unchangeably on the grace (divine favor) that is coming to you when Jesus Christ (the Messiah) is revealed.”

      [Special Point: Christians walking in godly fear and are kept by grace can be confident that grace that will come to them at Christ’s appearing will cover their imperfections. Such is the goodness and faithfulness of God. With this hope, let us brace up our minds, and be sober as we wait for the coming of the Lord.]

      Grace from first to last: We are saved by grace (Eph.1:7; Eph. 2:5-6), we are what we are by grace (1 Cor. 15:10), and we are exhorted to set our hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to us at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 1 Pet. 1:13. Since we have such hope, Peter further exhorts us, 1 Pet. 1:14-17: “as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts,… but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear.” Grace guides our steps in the fear of God, corrects us step by step (Titus 2:11-13), and shall complete the work at the coming of the Lord, Phil. 1:6: “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” This points to the importance of using the time and opportunities God gives us. Lord, let me abide in godly fear.

      Paul wrote from prison before he was beheaded, 2 Tim. 4:8: “Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” Paul loved the appearing of the Lord Jesus to the very end. We read in Heb. 9:28: “To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.” Lord, let me wait for you eagerly. Amen.

      Thankful for your prayers,

      Shibu Podiyan
      Washington D.C