The Feast of the Assumption (Shunoyo) of St. Mary

  • SOC Digest
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2011
      The Feast of the Assumption (Shunoyo) of St. Mary
      by Fr. Mathai Varkey Puthukkunnathu

      “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your
      offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel." Gen:
      3:15

      The Holy Syrian Orthodox Church observes the sacred Fast of the
      Assumption of Saint Mary (Theotokos-Yoldas(th) Aaloho-God Bearer)
      from the 10th of August for 5 days and concludes with the celebration of the Assumption Feast on the 15th. Saint Mary is the Blessed Mother of our Lord Jesus Christ, who was chosen by the Almighty, according to the divine commandment made at the Garden of Eden. Redemption from the aberration of sin is made possible by the blood of the unblemished Lamb. Saint Mary gave birth to that unblemished Son of God, the Virgin Eve Lamb, who crushed the head of the arch enemy, Satan. This made her to be the Theotokos, God Bearer, and the Second Eve. The first Eve brought disobedience and caused sin to overpower the creation, where as Saint Mary’s absolute submission to the Will of God brought
      forth eternal salvation to the world. “I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her”. Luke 1:38. This unique obedience and unparallel forbearance to uphold the Divine Will has brought about the Redemption of the sinful humanity. It is worth mentioning here that the Holy Syrian Orthodox Church does not believe in the immaculate birth of Saint Mary. All humans are born with the original sin and one of the divine mercies that we receive through the Sacrament of Holy Baptism is the grace that wipes away the blemishes/stain of the original sin. That is the reason why the Feast of the Assumption has been given more importance by the Holy Church than to the feast of the birth of Saint Mary.

      Continue read @ http://www.socdigest.org/articles/06aug06.html