It is really ASSAHYAM (unbearable)

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6 9:41 AM
      Dear moderators

      [1]   Most of the preachers of our church as also of other churches and congregations refer to the following books of the Holy Bible in a most unbearable manner:-

      I   Samuel
      II  Samuel
      I   King
      II  King
      I   Chronicles
      II  Chronicles
      I   Corinthians
      II  Corinthians
      I   Thessalonians
      II  Thessalonians
      I   Timothy
      II  Timothy
      I   Peter
      II  Peter
      I   John
      II  John
      III  John

      [ 2] They  refer to III John with the words: MoonnuYohannante Lekhanam (the Epistle      of  three John).  Similarly Rantu raajaakkanmaarute pusthkam (the Book of two Kings),  Onnu Sammuve-linte pusthakam (the Book of one Samuel),  Rantu Corinthyarute lekhanam (not as conrinthyarkulla lekhanam), Rantu theemotheosinte lekhanam (not as theemotheosinulla lekhanam) etc., etc.

      [3] My humble submission is that the above references should be Yohannante moonnam lekhanam, raajaakkanmarute rantaam pusthakam,  Samuvelinte onnaam pusthakam, corinthiarkulla rantaam lekhanam,  theemotheosinulla rantaam lekhanam etc., etc.

      [4] In English they are at liberty to refer these books, for short. as indicated in para [1] But they should refrain from hurting Malayalam resorting to the ugly usage as in para [2].

      I am at a loss to understand why they resort to this practice and I am unhappy that  the senior listeners of the sermons do not correct the speakers privately talking to them after the function is over.

      [5]   In fact it is a TASK MOST ADVERTUREOUS AND PERILESS  to correct others. If a celebrant of the Holy Qurbono address our Lord and  prays to Him "Nammute rekshakkayi vannavanum" instead of " Njangalute rekshakkayi vannavanum" what remedy is there for a discerning layman among the congregtion ?. Similarly what could be done if a celebrant says preliminary to reading from the Holy Gospel:  Slomo lakulhoon (peace be to all of THEM) instead of Slomo lakulkoon (peace be to all of YOU)?  If a prelate says vaaninnutayo-n  kayyaal [by the hand of the Lord OF Heaven] instead of vaaneennutayon kayyal [by the hand of (our) Lord FROM Heaven = Me-n  s'maayo  b'e-de d'mo-raan] should we bow our heads in shame and keep quiet?.

      [5] In this context I may state that the St Paul is the author of 14 out of 27  Books of the New Testament and his name does not appear even once in the top-line of the Holy Bible. We ignore him mentioning his epistles as rommaleghanam, theemothiyosinte leghanam etc. My humble suggestion is that always his august name should be there in the reference as visudha paulosinte rommarkkulla lekhanam etc.

      V T John
      ID 3085