Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Aug 3, 2011
      READ: Joshua 1:1-9

      As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake
      you. —Joshua 1:5

      Sometimes I am ashamed of my prayers. Too often I hear myself using familiar
      phrases that are more like mindless filler than thoughtful, intimate
      interaction. One phrase that annoys me, and that I think might offend God, is
      “Lord, be with me.” In Scripture, God has already promised not to leave me.
      God made this promise to Joshua just before he led the Israelites into the
      Promised Land (Josh. 1:5). The author of Hebrews later claimed it for all
      believers: “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (13:5). In both cases, the
      context indicates that God’s presence has to do with giving us the power to
      carry out His will, not our own will, which is generally what I have in mind in
      my prayers.
      When we are doing God’s will, He will be with us even without our asking. If
      we’re not doing His will, we need to ask for His forgiveness, change our course,
      and follow Him. —Julie Ackerman Link
      God Himself is with thee—
      Thy Savior, Keeper, Friend;
      And He will not forsake thee,
      Nor leave thee to life’s end. —J. D. Smith
      May our prayers not be mindless, but instead mindful of God’s will.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.