Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Aug 1, 2011
      READ: Luke 6:27-36

      Jesus of Nazareth . . . went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed
      by the devil, for God was with Him. —Acts 10:38
      Someone once said, “The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good
      anyway.” I like that; it’s a great reminder. In the book of Acts, Luke
      summarized Jesus’ earthly ministry by saying that He “went about doing good”
      (10:38).
      What does the Bible mean when it tells us to “do good”? Jesus did good by
      teaching, healing, feeding, and comforting people. Using Jesus as the perfect
      example, His followers are called to meet the needs of others, including those
      who hate them: “Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those
      who hate you” (Matt. 5:44; see also Luke 6:27-35). They are to serve their
      enemies without expecting anything in return.
      Moreover, as opportunity arises, His followers are to do good especially to
      fellow believers (Gal. 6:10). They are not to let persecution, selfishness, and
      busyness cause them to forget to do good and to share what they have with others
      (Heb. 13:16).
      To be like our Savior and His early followers, we should ask ourselves each day:
      “What good thing can I do today in Jesus’ name?” When we do good, we will be
      offering a sacrifice that pleases God (Heb. 13:16) and that draws people to Him
      (Matt. 5:16). —Marvin Williams
      From the example of Jesus,
      Who went about doing good,
      We are to honor our Savior
      By helping wherever He would. —Hess
      Imitate Jesus—go about doing good.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.