Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Jul 30, 2011
      READ: Colossians 1:15-23

      In Him all things consist. —Colossians 1:17
      One day I bought an inexpensive model of the solar system for my son. Installing
      it required me to suspend each planet from the ceiling. After bending up and
      down several times, I was lightheaded and tired. Hours later, we heard a “plink”
      as Jupiter hit the floor.
      Later that night, I thought about how our flimsy replica fell apart, yet Jesus
      sustains the actual universe. “He is before all things, and in Him all things
      consist” (Col. 1:17). The Lord Jesus holds our world together, maintaining the
      natural laws that rule the galaxy. Our Creator also upholds “all things by the
      word of His power” (Heb. 1:3). Jesus is so mighty that He keeps the universe in
      order simply by commanding it to be so!
      As amazing as this is, Jesus is more than a cosmic caretaker. He sustains us
      too. He “gives life and breath to everything, and He satisfies every need” (Acts
      17:25 NLT). While Jesus sometimes provides for us differently than we might
      expect, our Savior keeps us going whether we are brokenhearted, in need of
      money, or enduring illness.
      Until the day He calls us home, we can trust that the One who keeps Jupiter from
      falling is the One who holds us up as well. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
      Awesome is our God and King,
      Who upholds the stars above;
      We now bow before His throne,
      Thanking Him for His great love. —D. De Haan
      The God who sustains the universe sustains me.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.