The Malankara World Journal Issue 16 (dated July 29, 2011) is available online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2011
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 16 (dated July 29, 2011) is now
      available online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_16-July-29-2011.htm

      This Sunday is the Seventh Sunday after Pentecost. The gospel reading is
      from St. Mark 3:20-30. The Bible Analysis, Commentaries and Sermons are
      provided in Malankara World at:
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/library/sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_7th-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      This Sunday's Gospel reading contains a reference to 'Eternal Sin or
      Unforgivable Sin.'

      Mark 3:28-30: "Truly I tell you, people will be forgiven all their
      sins and all the blasphemies they utter. But whoever blasphemes
      against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an
      eternal sin. He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying,
      'He has an evil spirit'."

      In addition to St. Mark, St. Matthew, St. Luke, and St. John also
      mention eternal sin. St. Paul has also mentioned this in Hebrews and
      Corinthians.

      Matthew 12:30-32: "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever
      does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, people will be
      forgiven every sin and blasphemy. But the blasphemy against the Spirit
      will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man
      will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not
      be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

      Luke 12:8-10: "I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son
      of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. But he who
      disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. And
      everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but
      anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."

      Hebrews 6:4-8: "It is impossible for those who have once been
      enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the
      Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the
      powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to
      repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over
      again and subjecting him to public disgrace. Land that drinks in the
      rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for
      whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. But land that produces
      thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In
      the end it will be burned. Even though we speak like this, dear friends,
      we are convinced of better things in your case --- the things that have
      to do with salvation."

      1 John 5:16-17: "If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto
      death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not
      unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray
      for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death."

      Hebrews 10:26-29: "For we, sinning wilfully after receiving the full
      knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but
      only a fearful expectation of judgment and fiery zeal about to consume
      the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without
      mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely
      do you think those deserve to be punished who have trampled the Son of
      God underfoot, who has considered as an unholy thing the blood of the
      covenant that sanctified them, and who have insulted the Spirit of grace?"

      1 Corinthians 12:2-3: "Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto
      these dumb idols, even as ye were led. Wherefore I give you to
      understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus
      accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the
      Holy Ghost."

      The concept of eternal sin is difficult to grasp in the context of the
      God as ever forgiving and full of love. Mark inserts his own explanation
      as to why Jesus said this, stating "He said this because they were
      saying, "He has an evil spirit." (Mark 3:30) Thus Jesus, according to
      Mark, is saying that accusing him of using Satan for his power is in
      effect calling the work of God evil and failing to see the work of God
      in Jesus' actions. The Pharisees had hardened their hearts to the point
      repentance became impossible. This may not apply to a true believer.

      According to the Catholic Catechism and Eastern Orthodox beliefs, there
      are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses
      to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins
      and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can
      lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

      The Church teaches that there is no offense, however serious, that
      cannot be taken away by Baptism, or absolved from in the
      Confessional---that no one, however wicked and guilty, may not
      confidently hope for forgiveness.

      This week's featured article is on 'How to know the will of God.' James
      Montgomery Boice, the author, says that everything God does is done to
      reveal Himself to us. For us to know God's will, we must be willing to
      do whatever it is.

      We had been covering our youth leaders who had gone to Dominican
      Republic and Haiti as part of their mission project. This week we
      feature Lispin Kuruvilla. He describes an experience he had while atop a
      mountain in Isabel de Torres National Park.

      Our family features this week include Jane Austen's Marital advice and
      view of marriage as a Christian Sacrament.

      *Table of Contents:*

      Editor's Note
      Bible Readings for This Sunday
      Sermons for This Sunday
      Inspiration for Today
      Featured This Week: How to Know the Will of God
      MGSOSA - Dominican Outreach Mission Trip 2011 Memories: Majesty of
      the Moment
      Family: Jane Austen's Marital Advice
      Top Five Regrets
      Recipe: Vermicelli Salad
      Marriage as a Christian Sacrament
      About Malankara World

      Please tell your friends and acquaintances about Malankara World. Thank
      you for your support and help.

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_16-July-29-2011.htm

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew