Malankara World Journal Issue 14 (dated July 15, 2011) is available online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2011
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 14 (dated July 15, 2011) is now
      available online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_14-July-15-2011.htm

      This Sunday is the Fifth Sunday after Pentecost. The Gospel Reading is
      from St. Luke 9:10-17 - the feeding of the multitudes with 5 loaves of
      bread and 2 fish. We have provided bible commentaries, analysis and
      sermons to study this scripture from different angles. Read them here:

      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_5th-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      This week we picked one of my favorite passages from the bible as focus
      for MW Journal:

      "Be still, and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10)

      Read this along with 1 Kings 19:11-13:

      11 The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence
      of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."

      Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and
      shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the
      wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not
      in the earthquake.

      12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the
      fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

      13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went
      out and stood at the mouth of the cave.

      Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

      Lauri Lumby explained this best:

      "Personally, this is one of my favorite scriptures. In these words, the
      Psalmist is reminding us that it is in the stillness that we KNOW God.
      Knowledge of this kind is knowledge of the heart, knowledge of the
      being, knowledge of the soul....as opposed to knowledge of the mind.
      Here we know God....not just about God. It is in this stillness that we
      remember our Oneness with God, and thereby remember our original nature
      as beings of contentment, joy, compassion and peace. Isn't this afterall
      what we are all truly seeking? It is this stillness that I encourage in
      my students and Spiritual Direction clients. The good news is that the
      Western Contemplative traditions are full of tools through which this
      stillness can be realized."

      However, there is also an aspect of prayer/worship here. Metropolitan
      Anthony Bloom, an Orthodox bishop (pages vii-viii) wrote in "Living Prayer:"

      "One of the reasons why communal worship or private prayer seem to be so
      dead or so conventional is that the act of worship, which takes place in
      the heart communing with God, is too often missing. Every expression,
      either verbal or in action, may help, but they are only expressions of
      what is essential, namely, a deep silence of communion. We all know in
      human relationships that love and friendship are deep when we can be
      silent with someone. As long as we need to talk in order to keep in
      touch, we can safely and sadly assume that the relationship is still
      superficial; and so, if we want to worship God, we must first of all
      learn to feel happy, being silent together with him. This is an easier
      thing to do than one might think at first; it needs a little time, some
      confidence and the courage to start.

      "Once the Cure d'Ars, a French saint of the eighteenth century, asked an
      old peasant what he was doing sitting for hours in the church, seemingly
      not even praying; the peasant replied: 'I look at him, he looks at me
      and we are happy together.' The man had learned to speak to God without
      breaking the silence of intimacy by words. If we can do that we can use
      any form of worship. If we try to make worship itself out of the words
      we use, we will get desperately tired of those words, because unless
      they have the depth of silence, they are shallow and tiresome.

      "But how inspiring words can be once they are backed by silence and are
      infused with the right spirit:

      'O Lord, open Thou my lips; and my mouth shall show forth thy praise'
      (Ps. 51:15)."

      Silence is putting aside our words and thoughts to make room for God's
      presence; silence is the discipline of having ears to hear. As Henri
      Nouwen put it, "Silence is the home of the word. Silence gives strength
      and fruitfulness to the word." ("The Way of the Heart").

      Where there is a quiet, silent heart, God's word has strength,
      fruitfulness, and depth. Where God's word has strength, fruitfulness and
      depth, God is exalted. Where God is exalted, God's Name is hallowed and
      His Kingdom comes.

      To Issac, this scripture reminds him of the story of Mary and Martha.
      "Sometimes God needs to tell us that its better to sit at his feet and
      be with him than to be busy doing stuff for him.

      For many of us we need to be reminded that we're not God. He doesn't
      NEED us to accomplish his mission. He doesn't NEED us in order to be
      exalted. He was doing just fine before we got here and he'll do just
      fine after we're gone.

      For many of us, that's not really good news. I can't tell you how many
      preachers, pastors, and clergy I've talked to that turn 50 and start
      worrying about their legacy. But God doesn't call us to build a legacy.
      We can't build his kingdom and ours at the same time. Let's face it,
      without his help we can't even build his kingdom! As Fr. Corapi is fond
      of saying, even the ability to be obedient or to do good things is a
      grace from God. What is humility? Realizing and keeping in perspective
      the fact of who we really are. And who we really are is totally defined
      by God. Without him we're nothing. With him, we're kings and priests,
      but we're also slaves.

      So, we ought to let God be God and not try to fill his unfillable shoes."

      Of course, the theology experts will tell us that this scripture is not
      about calming down or being quiet but recognizing and proclaiming the
      majesty of God.

      The lead article this week talks about taking a moment in your busy
      schedule to take stock of yourself. There is also a health angle
      associated with that. Meditation is proven to help you with your mental
      health. Prayer, meditation, and contemplation are the best remedy for a
      stressful lifestyle.

      Sometimes, you can relax by being busy as our team from MGSOSA have
      discovered on their trip to Dominican Republic. They have just returned
      from a weeklong mission trip. We have included reflections from 3 days
      of their trip in this issue. I learned that our "champakom" tree is also
      in Dominican Republic. And they call our "Naranga" as perhaps "naranja."
      When we read about the condition of people in places like Haiti and
      Dominican Republic, we realize how lucky we are. Suddenly all the
      problems we think are important looks nothing compared to what some of
      the people over there go through everyday to survive.

      Rev. Dn. Shiryl Mathai wrote in his memoirs:

      "Fr. Dale asked us to look for the face of Jesus as we left for work in
      the morning. I didn't understand what was really meant. Were we to see
      Jesus in people? Were people to see Jesus in us?"

      Contemplate this question as you read the article, "Letting your light
      shine in the darkness."

      Table of Contents: Malankara World Journal Issue 14

      * Editor's Note
      * Bible Readings for This Sunday
      * Sermons for This Sunday
      * Inspiration for Today
      * Featured This Week: Be still and know that I am God
      * Reports from Dominican Outreach Mission Project
      * Letting your light shine in the darkness
      * Let Him Pray
      * Health: Are You Lonely and Depressed?
      * Recipe: Fitness Drink
      * Humor: Disappointed Salesman
      * About Malankara World

      Thank you for your support and help. We welcome your comments and feedback.

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_14-July-15-2011.htm

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World