Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Jul 13, 2011
      READ: Philemon 1:1-9

      Being such a one as Paul, the aged, . . . I appeal to you for my son Onesimus. —Philemon 1:9-10
      Celebrating
      my 60th birthday really changed my perspective on life— I used to think
      people in their sixties were “old.” Then I started counting the number
      of productive years I might have left and set the number at 10. I went
      along with this dead-end kind of thinking until I remembered a very
      productive co-worker who was 85. So I sought him out to ask what life
      after 60 was like. He told me of some of the wonderful ministry
      opportunities the Lord had given him over the last 25 years.The
      apostle Paul, referring to himself as “aged” in Philemon 1:9, really
      resonates with my own sense of aging: “Being such a one as Paul, the
      aged, . . . I
      appeal to you for my son Onesimus” (vv.9-10). Paul was asking Philemon
      to take back his runaway servant Onesimus. Some scholars believe Paul
      was in his late forties or early fifties when he wrote this—certainly
      not a senior citizen by today’s standards. But life expectancy in those
      days was much shorter. Yet despite awareness of his mature years, Paul
      went on to serve the Lord for several more years.While
      we may experience physical or other kinds of limitations, what really
      matters is that we continue doing what we can for the Lord until He
      calls us Home. —Dennis FisherThink not your work of no account
      Although it may be small;
      The Lord marks well your
      faithfulness
      When you give Him your all. —D. De Haan
      God can use you at any age—if you are willing.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.