The latest Issue of Malankara World Journal (Volume 1, No 13 dated July 8, 2011) is now available online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2011
      The latest Issue of Malankara World Journal (Volume 1, No 13 dated July
      8, 2011) is now available online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_13-July-8-2011.htm

      This Sunday is the Fourth Sunday after Pentecost. The Gospel Reading is
      from St. Matthew 14:14-23. It describes a very familiar miracle
      performed by Jesus Christ - the feeding of the multitudes with 5 loaves
      of bread and 2 fish. This is the only miracle that is covered by all 4
      gospels in New Testament. Apart from the miracle of multiplying the
      food, typically covered in all sermons, we have taken a more expansive
      look. This miracle is an introduction to the Eucharist that Jesus
      instituted during the last supper. Look at the similarities and the
      essential elements in anaphora with what Jesus did in this miracle. Two
      sermons/gospel analysis we have provided goes over this in more detail.

      Talking of miracles, there was more than just meets the eyes. Having the
      Orthodox Jews to eat a food whose origin/source was unknown was a big
      miracle according to Sarah Dylan Breuer. This is a big no no for Jews
      who insist on eating only Kosher foods and believe in the axiom, "you
      are what you eat." Also, Jews are very particular as to who they eat
      with. (You are who you eat with.) In this case, they didn't know. Jesus
      has inspired them enough to forget all these prohibitions and enabled
      them to eat together. These are major paradigm shifts for the crowd that
      followed Jesus. Read the sermon and learn more. We also have the
      contemporary interpretation of how God can create abundance on the face
      of scarcity.

      Read the full list of Bible Commentary, Analysis and Sermons here:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_4th-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      We continue the discussion on the Christian virtue of humility.
      According to Dr. McKeever, "Scripture is filled with teachings,
      examples, violations, commands, and encouragements regarding humility.
      Nothing cinches it for believers like knowing that even Jesus Christ was
      humble and became our example. Try these passages for starters: Matthew
      11:29; John 13:14-15; Philippians 2:5-8. Scripture tells believers to
      put on humility (Colossians 3:12), be clothed with humility (I Peter
      5:5), and to walk with humility (Ephesians 4:1-2). The Lord wants His
      children to be humble so badly that He has given us seven aids to
      accomplish this and to keep us that way." It is an article that is well
      worth reading multiple times.

      Another theme we were following in the MW Journal in recent weeks was
      about prayer. In this week's journal, Kathryn J. Hermes, F.S.P discusses
      "How to Pray When You Are Depressed: 10 spiritual techniques to help
      Christians find your prayer voice even in your darkest hours." Sr.
      Hermes says that "When you're depressed, you may discover that the
      shadows and tempests of that depression alter the way you look at God
      and the way you believe God looks at you. When you pray, you may be
      unable to sit still or to keep your mind focused for more than a few
      moments. Everything may appear to be a huge gaping hole of silence--all
      so useless. God may seem to be mocking your attempts to pray." She
      recommends several invaluable tips on how to pray when you experience
      "loneliness, boredom, frustration, and anger."

      Vishal Mangalwadi, a native of India and one of the great Christian
      worldview thinkers, believes that much of modern India, including its
      language, educational system, and political freedom, developed not out
      of Hinduism, but out of Christianity. His newest work, 'The Book That
      Made Your World: How the Bible Created the Soul of Western Civilization'
      explores the Bible's impact, not only in leading the West to
      unparalleled liberty and prosperity, but in helping India and other
      nations to share in the West's success. Chuck Colson reviews the book.

      'Church Life - We Are Connected to One Another' looks at how we, the
      body of Christ, are to behave with each other. There is lot of truth in
      the statement, "where one member of the body is prospering or enjoying a
      special time of blessing, the rest of the body should rejoice together
      with them. This is many times more difficult to do than grieving with
      each other, because of our self-centered and covetous nature. Too often
      we grieve when others are blessed rather than rejoicing with them."

      The health tip this week talks about 4 symptoms you should not ignore
      and requires you to see a doctor. Please read these. It may save your life!

      The humor talks about real life bloopers from church newsletters. Enjoy!

      *Table of Contents (Issue 13) *

      1. Editor's Note
      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday
      3. Sermons for This Sunday
      4. Inspiration for Today
      5. Featured This Week: Humility: Getting It and Keeping It
      6. The Book that Made Your World: The Bible and the West
      7. How to Pray When You Are Depressed
      8. Church Life: We Are Connected to One Another
      9. Health: Four Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
      10. Humor: Church Bulletin Bloopers
      11. About Malankara World

      Please tell your friends and acquaintances about MW Journal and
      Malankara World website. Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/