Our Daily Bread

    Message 1 of 90 , Jul 7, 2011
      READ: Psalm 55:1-8

      So I said, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.”
      —Psalm 55:6
      Yves Rossy accomplished something people have dreamed of since the ancient
      myth of Icarus. He has flown. Known as the “Fusion Man,” Rossy built a set of
      wings with an engine pack that uses his body as the fuselage of the aircraft,
      with the wings fused to the back of his heat-resistant suit. His first flight
      took place near Geneva, Switzerland, in 2004, and he has since had numerous
      successful flights.
      The psalmist David longed to have wings so he could fly away. In a time when
      he was being pursued by enemies who were seeking to take his life, Israel’s
      king cried, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest”
      (Ps. 55:6).
      Like David, when we’re facing pressure, mistreatment, hardship, or grief, we
      might wish we could sprout wings and fly away. But Jesus offers a better way.
      Rather than fleeing our struggles, He invites us to flee to Him. He said, “Come
      to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My
      yoke upon you and learn from Me, . . . and you will find rest for your souls”
      (Matt. 11:28-29). Rather than wishing we could fly away and escape life’s
      problems, we can bring them to Him.
      Escape cannot give us rest, but Jesus can. —Bill Crowder
      O give me a spirit of peace, dear Lord,
      Midst the storms and tempests that roll,
      That I may find rest and quiet within,
      A calm buried deep in my soul. —Dawe
      God gives us strength to face our problems, not to flee from them.
    • Very rev. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 1, 2012
        READ: Psalm 22:1-8,19-26

        Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! —Psalm 22:26

        Do you know which psalm is quoted most often in the New Testament? You may have guessed the familiar and beloved 23rd Psalm, but actually it is
        Psalm 22. This psalm begins with David’s poignant, heart-breaking words
        that were quoted by Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have You
        forsaken Me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34).
        Imagine the situation David must have found himself in that caused him to cry
        out to God in this way. Notice that he felt forsaken and abandoned: “Why are You so far from helping me?” (Ps. 22:1). He also felt ignored: “O
        my God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear” (v.2).
        Ever been there? Have you ever looked up into the heavens and wondered why
        it seemed that God had abandoned you, or was ignoring you? Welcome to
        David’s world. But for every plaintive cry David expresses, there is a
        characteristic of God mentioned that rescues him from despondency.
        Through it all, David discovers that God is holy (v.3), trustworthy
        (vv.4-5), a deliverer and rescuer (vv.8,20-21), and his strength (v.19).
        Do you feel forsaken? Seek the Lord. Rehearse His character. And “let your heart rejoice with everlasting joy” (v.26 nlt). —Dave Branon
        Lord, sometimes I feel as if You don’t care about
        my life. When those times come, please remind me
        of Your character as You did David. Help me to
        lean on You again and know that You are there.
        Even when we don’t sense God’s presence, His loving care is all around us.