Malankara World Journal Latest Issue (Volume 1, No 11 dated June 24, 2011) is Available on line

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2011
      The latest Issue of Malankara World Journal (Volume 1, Issue 11, Dated
      June 24, 2011) is now available online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_11-June-24-2011.htm

      This Sunday's Gospel reading, as prescribed by our church, has one of
      the difficult sayings of Jesus. When we think of Jesus, we think of him as the Prince of Peace, someone on whom we can leave all the anxieties and other difficulties in life. In today's Gospel, Jesus tells us that he did not come to this world to bring peace but to bring sword. It is tough to reconcile it coming from a savior who has told Peter when he struck the Chief priest's servant that "those who use a sword will be consumed by the sword."

      We have nearly a dozen articles explaining this paradox as well as what Jesus expects from His disciples. You can find them here:

      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_2nd-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      Our lead article in this Journal is on abandoning our ego. Jesus, who
      told his disciples that they need to follow Servant Leadership, requires that we need to humble ourselves and abandon our ego or self before we can become his true disciple. It is an excellent article by the Primate of the Coptic Church.

      A companion article looks at Christians in the early days of
      Christianity and the sacrifices they had to undergo following Jesus'
      commandments. It is clear that when we become Christians, we need to be transformed. We become different persons. We become role models. We
      become examples to others who want to follow us. Like we explained in
      the last Journal, we become lights that reflect the glory of Jesus. Are we?

      We now pick on the series on Prayer we left out a few weeks ago. In the article, 'Prayer: We Need Desire, Time and Quiet', Bishop George V
      Murray SJ expands on how to pray. In this connection, it is relevant to point out a recent exhortation by Pope Benedict XVI on Christian prayer:

      'Christian prayer is grounded in the gift of new life brought by Christ; it is an "art" in which Christ, the Son of God, is our supreme teacher. At the same time, prayer is a part of the human experience, as we see from the ancient cultures of Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece and Rome. There we find eloquent expressions of a desire to see God, to experience His mercy and forgiveness, to grow in virtue and to experience divine help in all that we do. In these cultures there is also a recognition that prayer opens man to a deeper understanding of our dependence on God and life's ultimate meaning. The pagan religions, however, remain a plea for divine help, an expression of that profound human yearning for God which finds its highest expression and fulfillment in the Old and New Testaments. Divine revelation, in fact, purifies and fulfils man's innate desire for God and offers us, through prayer, the possibility of a deeper relationship with our heavenly Father. With the disciples, then, let us ask the Lord: "[t]each us to pray" (cf. Luke 11:1).' - Pope
      Benedict XVI, May 4, 2011

      Mother Angelica explains Repentance. Jesus and John, the Baptist,
      started their ministries by telling people to "Repent, the Kingdom of
      Heaven is at Hand." Mother asks, "What stands in the way of my becoming another Christ? Christ is within me, waiting for me to let Him shine forth. What dark clouds stand between Christ and me, preventing my neighbor from seeing God's Son?" The answer is our sins. We need to repent and become a new creature.

      One of the reasons why marriages fail is due to high expectations
      according to Chuck Colson. It's all-too-common today for brides and
      grooms to seek to have all their needs met in the person they are about to marry. Certainly, marriage does satisfy many of our needs, but "at best it does so partially and imperfectly. At some point, our marriage partners will always let us down." Are we wrong to seek personal fulfillment in our spouses?, the author asks. Read how spirituality can help in this area.

      We will also be talking more about this in our future editions.

      We have a beautiful wedding prayer by Max Lucado that can be prayed by
      all couples.

      Enjoy the Malankara Salad and the other articles on health and
      inspirations too.

      *Table of Contents (Issue 11)*

      Editor's Note
      Bible Readings for This Sunday
      Sermons for This Sunday
      Inspiration for Today
      Featured This Week: The Ego, The Greatest Hindrance for Virtue
      Who is a Christian?
      Prayer: We Need Desire, Time and Quiet
      Repentance
      Family: Inflated Expectations-How Not to Treat Your Spouse
      Wedding Prayer
      Health: Food Enzymes: Improve Your Health with Food Enzymes
      Recipe: Sunny Malankara Salad
      Life Book 2011
      About Malankara World

      We hope that you will tell your friends and acquaintances about MW
      Journal and Malankara World website. Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/
      Malankara World Journal
      Hudson, Ohio
      ID No: 956
    • Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
        The latest Issue of Malankara World Journal (Volume 1, No 12 dated July 1, 2011) is now available online at:

        http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_12-July-1-2011.htm

        This Sunday is the Third Sunday after Pentecost. The Gospel Reading is
        from St. John 6:35-46. We have given sermons with the themes, "I am the Bread of Life", "Eternal Life", "Discipleship", etc. covering the themes possible from this passage. Read the full list here:

        http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_3rd-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

        This week's meditation is very special. It is titled, "Today I will make a difference." Our mission in this world is to make a difference using the talents given by God. I suggest that you read this passage everyday in the morning. You will see a big difference in your life shortly.

        Our focus topic is on the Dominican Outreach Mission organized by Rev.
        Fr. Johnson and the St. Ephrem's mission, a jewel of the Universal
        Syriac Orthodox Church. Several members from North America, including a member of the Malankara World Board, will be experiencing Dominican
        Republic first hand this week. They will see sufferings from poverty,
        illnesses such as HIV/AIDS, earthquake devastation etc. We will be
        updating on the trip frequently in MW.

        Humility is a quality that is highly preferred by God. We have a short
        article about Humility. Read it over and over. It is a life changer.

        Talking of eternity, Dr. Graham tells us how to make big impact on our
        eternal life during our short life. We think we have a long life to
        live. The fact is, no one knows how much time we have here. It can end
        in the next moment. It is important that we take advantage of our time
        in this world to accumulate spiritual treasures that are valued in our
        eternal life.

        This week's Journal also has articles on career change, very useful in
        the uncertain economic conditions of today. The health feature talks
        about the dangers of commercial sun screen products. Next two months are the peak summer season in North America; we hope that you will read and pay attention to what is given there before going to beach. You will be glad you did.

        For our North American readers, we wish you all a Happy July Fourth
        Holiday. Enjoy the picnics, fireworks, and backyard barbecues. We are
        already past the half way point in this summer season.

        Table of Contents (Issue 12)

        Editor's Note
        Bible Readings for This Sunday
        Sermons for This Sunday
        Inspiration for Today: Today I Will Make A Difference
        Featured This Week: Dominican Outreach, A Project of St. Ephrem's Mission
        Humility
        How to make an eternal impact with your short life
        What Steps Have You Taken Today Toward Reinventing Your Career?
        Health Tip: Health Dangers of Sunscreens