Re: English version of prayer song

  • Dr. Thomas Joseph
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2011
      Below I offer a translation of the hymn directly from the Syriac. All the Qurbono hymns were translated into English in 1998-2000 with the assistance of Dr. George Kiraz, Director of Beth Mardutho: Syriac Institute and was authorized for use in the St. Mary's Church in Los Angeles, by our bishop at the time, H.E. Mor Clemis Kaplan, an eminent Syriac scholar who reviewed the text.

      For the last decade, I have made many attempts to have the North American Malankara Archdiocese consider the text for approval as the official version. The current version in use was originally published by Mathews Mar Athanasios (later Catholicos of the Indian Orthodox Church, Marthoma Mathews I.) and is a translation from the Malayalam translation - deficient in many ways. Unfortunately, even though our archbishop constituted a panel in 2008 there was hardly any interest in the work (I must note here the enthusiasm of Mr. Babu Jacob Nadayil and Chev. K. James, who did take much interest initially.)

      I hope that you can see below the difference in faithfulness of translation between the two versions both to the original text and to the rules of English grammar, while retaining the Syriac meter in which the hymn is sung.

      kul man dokhel fagray. w-shothé dem Hayo.
      emar forooqan. beh oo m-qawé eno.
      d-noseb b-dakhyootho. of b-haymonootho.
      w-noTar fooqdoney. hooyoo roHmo deel.

      "All who eat My Body and drink My living Blood,"
      our Savior affirmed, "I will abide in them."
      "He, who receives Me in purity and in faith,
      and he, who keeps my commandments, is My friend."

      hoo fagr mekhooltaw. w-dem koso d-Haye.
      wayno d-noseb leh. beh hoo m-qaw eno.
      fagrokh maHyono. wadmokh m-Hasyono.
      hablan forooqan. l-Hoosoy nafshothan.

      "My Body is the food and My Blood the cup of life
      «and» whosoever partakes, in him I will abide."
      Our Savior, «give us» for the atonement of our souls
      Thy life-giving Body and Thy absolving Blood.

      moran m-haymneenan. b-fagrokh d-nosbeenan.
      d-beh methHaseynan. w-Hayé nTeereenlan.
      fagrokh awkelthon. wadmokh ashqeethon.
      lo te`ool l-deeno. `aman b-yoom Hartho.

      Lord, we believe by Thy Body that we receive
      we are absolved and life «is retained» for us.
      Thou gave us Thy Body to eat and Thy Blood to drink;
      may we not be in the judgment «on the» last day!

      fagrokh dekhalnan. wadmokh deshtheenan.
      lo moryo nehwoon lan. l-deenao w-lathba`tho.
      lo te`ool l-deeno `am `abdé deelokh.
      d-fagrokh mor wadmokh. rah-boono yabt lan*

      Thy Body we ate and Thy Blood we drank,
      Lord, may be not for judgment and vengeance.
      Do not enter into judgment with Thy servants.
      Thy Body and Blood, You've «given us» in earnest.

      fagrokh mor wadmokh. daTmeer b-hadomayn.
      leh hoo sogdeenan. d-beh Hayé yahbth lan.
      dayono kheeno. d-doyen kheenoyeeth.
      l-deeno lo ta`lan. w-Hawbayn lo tedkar.

      Lord, Thy Body and Blood is hidden in our limbs.
      We worship Them for through Them You gave us life.
      The righteous judge who judges justly, bring us
      not to judgment and recall not our debts.

      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [ http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
      Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
      ID: 0202