Contrition of Heart is the Heart of Repentance

  • Shibu Podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2011
      Contrition of Heart is the Heart of Repentance
      The following is from A.W. Tozer (1897 - 1963), Man the Dwelling Place of God

      Now I have heard for the last thirty years that repentance is a change of mind, and I believe it, of course, as far as it goes. But that’s just what's the matter with us. We have reduced repentance to a change of mind. It is a mental act indeed, but I point out that repentance is not likely to do us much good until it ceases to be a change of mind only and becomes a wound in our spirit. No man has truly repented until his sin has wounded him near to death, until the wound has broken him and defeated him and taken all the fight and self-assurance out of him and he sees himself as the one who nailed his Savior on the tree.

      The only way we can keep right with God is to keep contrite, to keep a sense of contrition upon our spirit. Now there's is a lot of cheap and easy getting rid of sin and getting your repentance disposed of. But the great Christians, in and out of the Bible, have been those who were wounded with a sense of contrition so that they never quite got over the thought and the feeling that they personally had crucified Jesus. The great Bishop Ussher each week used to go down by the riverbank and there all Saturday afternoon kneel by a log and bewail his sins before his God."

      Longing to keep a contrite heart before God,
      Shibu Podiyan
      Washington D.C