Rules of fasting and FASTING PRAYER AND RETREAT AT ST.PETERS & ST.PAULS CHURCH MASSAPEQUA during the 10 day waiting period

  • Apu Jose
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2011
      Dear Biju and readers,

      As Syriac Orthodox Christians , the Holy Church has prohibited in the Holy canons from fasting during the 50 day period from Resurrection (Easter) to Pentacost. It is clearly given in the Pampakuda namaskaram that there should be no fasting or genuflections (kumbhideel ) during this time. Please do ensure that you do not do anything contrary to what has been taught by the Holy Fathers.

      In terms of kumbhideel , there seems to be no law in our Churches. People genuflect in our churches during Saturdays, Sundays and feast days . Some people do this even after taking the Holy Mysteries. The priests in many of the churches do not seem to mind all these affairs . I guess these things should be strictly enforced or in future, our faithful will think this is a true practice of the Church.

      Another thing to be noted in feast of Pentacost, we are not waiting for the Holy Ghost to come and fill us but for re energizing the Holy Trinity which we got during the Holy Baptism and Holy Confirmation (Muron).

      With prayers
      Apu Jose
      Ernakulam