Genuflecting is the rule

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2011
      Genuflecting in prayers is the rule and the exceptions are the following:

       1. The period from Easter to Pentecost.
       2. Sundays and Feasts directly related to Moran (Our Lord) .( In Malayalam Moranaya perunalukal)
       3. Up to 9th hour of the day  on which Holy Qurbono  is received

      Our Lord dosev vu kathile l'mo-yutho and rose from the Tomb on the Easter day; Easter Sunday being the Day of VICTORY Over Death we do not genuflect from that day onwards. But on the Pentecostal day we genuflect at the mighty advent of the Rooho Qaadeeso and we continue to genuflect  from the  Pentecostal day until next Easter subject to the exceptions at S.No.2 & 3 above

      The  Maaneeso said at the close of the Second Thesmestho of fenthiqosthi starts with the following lines viz., " vuMethul hode adamo l'yum fenthiqosthi, Lo borkeenaan aloroyo mo damsaleenan"   which means we do not genuflect in prayers until Pentecost. The reason therefor is not found in this maaneeso; it simply says methul hode. Perhaps we have to refer to maneeso said at the close of the First Thesmestho of fenthiqosthi to find the reason(s).

      Or  one has to doubt whether a few lines just before the above quoted line are missing in the maneeso..

      V T John ID 3085
    • Thomas Mann
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2011
        Thank you Mr. John V T for your explanation on genuflection

        However my question remains partially answered on the reason we do not genuflect during the Easter period till Pentecost.

        Again one another thought is, during Holy Qurbana, the Priest genuflects in front of Holy Altar 3 times even during this excluded period. Is there a difference in genuflection associated with Holy Qurbana and the Common prayer?

        In HIS Name,
        Thomas Mann
        # 972