today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
      Today's Bible verse

      "The Lord will sustain him upon his sickbed; In his illness, You restore him to health." (Psalm 41:3)

      The turbulent mental health of today’s children is a major concern.

      Mental health from anxiety and depression is the number one issue facing schools today but the least attended to problem. It’s a sleeping giant. We wouldn’t let a child walk around with a broken arm, but kids with mental illness suffer just the same. One in five children in Canada suffers from a mental health problem, especially anxiety, mood problems, low esteem and thoughts of suicide. Here we need compassionate, loving and understanding counsellors, parents and teachers. The church has a major role to play to mitigate and harness this giant elephant in the minds and heads of children. A spiritual atmosphere of love and concern will bring peace in the boiling minds of children. The God of love and healing can bring them back to the mainstream. Jeremiah 33:6 - ”Behold, I will bring you health and cure, and will cure you and will revive unto you the abundance of peace and safety.” God sees the mind and heart before the body. Treatment is for the wellness of wholeness of human soul, mind and body. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 - Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless (sound, complete and intact) at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Let us bring our children in front of Jesus with hope and faith. Trust in him. He will revive your children from the present mental disturbance with peace and hope.

      Ayesha Jabbar was then a grade 9 at Scarborough R.H. King Academy when her parents’ marriage broke up and she was diagnosed with clinical depression. She tried to kill herself twice in the following years. “My family is from South Asia, where depression is seen as something you should just snap out of,” said Jabbar, now 21, a social work student at Ryerson University, who now feels she is on a solid treatment plan. “But the great part was, I had a guidance counsellor who reached out to me when I wasn’t coming to class, otherwise they would have suspended me,” said Jabbar. She arranged accommodations for me when I was on an emotional roller coaster. It’s a stressful world. Kids need a lot of support.

      Prayer : Jesus, we are in a stressful world and we need your peace and solace. We pray for all the children who are in the depression of life's challenges. Save them from the pits of mental illness. We pray for the care givers, parents, teachers and immediate handlers of children. Let our church be an asylum and hospital for the children of mental health. We pray for Jabbar and others like her. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      Saturday, 4th June 2011
      www.jerusalemchristianmission.com
    • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2012
        Today with Jesus

        Bible verse: “Ruth found herself working in a field that belonged to Boaz." (Ruth 2:3)

        Are you unemployed? Try this: Volunteering.

        Volunteering is also one of the means to get you a job. It will not fail you. It is God’s command to serve and be happy. An extra hand for others will train you for a trade, ease the work of others, helps the beneficiary , happiness for the giver, a role model for others and ultimately a job at your hand. This is the lesson Solomon taught us by the simile of ants. And he learned from them how to volunteer.

        Ruth was a widow with no means of providing for herself and so, she went into the fields to collect the grains. She was not shy or afraid of admitting her need and was a sincere worker. When Ruth went out to the fields, God provided for her. If you are waiting for God to provide, consider this: He may be waiting for you to take the first step to demonstrate just how important your need is. Her task, though menial, tiring and perhaps degrading, was done faithfully. Jesus calls us for volunteering in his ministry service. The harvest is ready but the workers are few.

        Every morning, Camille Boudreau arrives before 8 at the door of the kindergarten at Ecole Bois-Joli, a French school in a port city on the east Coast of Canada. She helps the toddlers by taking off their snowsuits, boots, hats, scarves and mittens. She reminds the children to arrange their winter clothes in their cubbies and helps them put on their indoor shoes. She helps them tie their laces, then leads them into the class room to read and draw. At a quarter past 9, Camille says goodbye, and goes off to her class room. “She is so patient,” Sophie de Jong, the teacher, says of Camille. Sometimes I’m exhausted and I feel like just ordering the kids around. But if a boy forgot to hang up his coat Camille would just say, "Are you forgetting something? And he will say, ‘Oh yeah, my coat.” And then Camille will say, "Good , let’s go tell Mrs. Sophie how good you were." The kids adore her. Camille says, "Yesterday, a little boy took out a little home-made flower from his knapsack and gave it to me. I know they appreciate that I am helping.” When asked why she goes to the kindergarten every morning when most kids her age are enjoying an extra hour of sleep, she says, “well, that is easy. I really like to be with kids. Plus I want to be teacher, and I know this will help me later when I try to get a job.”

        Prayer: Jesus, let us be volunteers like Camille. There are millions in need of our volunteering. Let us be spirited and motivated by your spirit of enthusiasm to work. Let more volunteers come for easing the burden of teachers. Let us have the mind to sacrifice our comforts like enjoyment of more sleep for the benefit of others. All we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

        Paulose Achen

        Tuesday, January 31st 2012
        www.jerusalemchristianmission.com
        vvapulose@...
        001-647-852-9954
      • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
          Today with Jesus

          Bible verse: “ The Samaritan soothed his wound with olive oil and wine, and bandaged him.” (Luke 10:34)

          First aid helpers in an emergency - our saviours.

          In an emergency, no other help benefit victims as the 'first aid'. The saviour of life is the first aid or the first help that gets there. In an accident, every minute is precious to save a life, and the same applies to all emergencies of life. We should always hope to be the first at the scene of emergencies and be ready to administer first aid. To do so, we need to also train ourselves with first aid programs. Studies reveal that the death rate due to heart attacks has reduced from 94% to 14 % by merely providing CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) by the Ottawa Para Medical Service in the city of Ottawa , Canada. The Bible says that the human body is the temple of God and so, we should not be a mere bystander of its destruction,but the saviour.

          Psalm 46:1 - "We can always depend on God to deliver us from trouble.” The story of the good Samaritan is the best example put forward by Jesus for the question, 'who is my neighbour?' Luke 10:34 - “A Jewish man was travelling from Jerusalem down to Jericho, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and let him half dead beside the road. A priest and a Levite passed by him, but it was the Samaritan who gave first aid. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him.”

          There is no excuse for by passing by and ignoring an emergency scene.

          In 2001, Eli Bee was knocked to the ground by a secondary bomb that was intended to kill first aiders rushing to the scene of a suicide blast in Israel which led to his ingenious low cost idea of being the first in the scene of an emergency on a bike and a phone. Conventional ambulances called to such scenes have plenty of fancy equipment, but they start from a central location and often struggle to squeeze through traffic jams. So they often arrive late; the most gravely injured often die in minutes. His charitable organization, United Hatzalah, co- ordinates a group of 1700 volunteers scattered around Israel, and each of them have a GPS- enabled- Smartphone revealing exactly where he or she is. Anyone who sees an emergency can call a central number (1221 in Israel). A Smartphone app instantly alerts the nearest first aider, who may be only a block away. He stops whatever he is doing, races to the scene and tries to give first aid. When the ambulance arrives, the volunteer goes back to his day job.

          Prayer: Jesus, let us be the first to help people in an emergency and let us learn how to render first aid to people in need. Give us the mind and heart of the good Samaritan. Let more Eli Bees spread all over the globe as the immediate savoir of lives in danger. We pray for all the people who are engaged in administering first aid. All we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

          Paulose Achen
          Thursday, 2nd Feb 2012
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2012
            Today with Jesus

            “Here is a boy with 5 small barley loaves and 2 small fish, but how far will they go among so many?” (John 6:9)

            Kids do care.

            Kids are the most vulnerable, exploited, misused and confused lot. They are punished for the wrongs and sins of the grown-up world. If we treat them and love them as God’s gift of love for the happiness of a home, and discipline them lovingly, then they will care for you and the society. They can stop all the wars and enmity, and create a heaven on earth. Empowering the children is the duty and responsibility of the parents, teachers, schools , priests, churches and the society at large. As they grow, let them understand and take the responsibility of the world around them which sustains life on earth.

            Sydney Schroeder is an example of caring for the less fortunate. Her 14th birthday party raised $237 to be split equally between the World Life Fund and the local charity. She asked her friends to use the money they would have spent on her presents for the causes she cares about. The birthday extravaganza of people around the world is a wanton waste and a crime to humanity when millions are going to bed without food and water.

            Sydney’s gesture is exemplary just as the lad in the Bible with 5 loaves of bread and 2 small fish that was given to be shared and feed the hungry.

            Prayer: Jesus, let our children be responsible and care for others. Let all the women be blessed with loving children. Let more and more children like Sydney surface in our homes, schools , churches, and public. We pray for all the children who are in pain and sorrow by the sins and wrong doings of the grownups. Let the abusers be punished and may they repent for their sins. We pray for the parents who are struggling to bring their kids in thy path. All we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

            Paulose Achen

            Saturday, 7th April 2012