The Under-Used Dr. Babu Paul

  • Dn. Monsy Jacob
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      The under-used Dr. Babu Paul

      When I was a young boy I had to hear about one achen from north (kuruppumpady?); each time I was listening to late lamented Mor Clemis Thirumeny's sermon. Thirumeny would talk about this achen buying books for his children to read etc.� At first Thirumeny said about one of this achen's sons getting IAS; then two.

      When my beloved Thekkattil achen (corespicopose) was serving Trivandrum church; his eyes always brightened talking about how proud and blessed he felt when he said to others that he is the achen of Dr. Babu Paul's church.�

      In the early 70s Dr. Babu Paul was a regular speaker in knanaya meetings. In his speech at Aythala (Ranni) he talked about his encounter with a tribal woman. After pleading her case she said to him "swamy ngan oru kristyaniya enikku kallam parayathilla� (swamy; I am a Christian, I can't lie)" This young district magistrate was addressed as swamy because most of the collectors were Brahmins in those days. He urged the youth to be different. If you are a Syrian Christian you should uphold your faith before others and be honest to yourself so that you would tell anyone that I am a Syrian Christian, I will do only Syrian Christian-ish. His messages carried me a long way. It still does.

      I have to sadly admit that we failed as a church and community to use him enough. I wish he is heard by the youth of this church at least once a week in different locations. Let us tap out knowledge, information and wisdom out of him.

      Happy 70th to Dr. Babu Paul from some one un-noticeable.

      Dn. Monsy Jacob,
      Boston