Malankara World Journal Special Supplement for Ascension is now available online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      A Special Edition of Malankara World Journal to commemorate Ascension
      Feast is now available online.

      You can access it by the following link (If the link does not work,
      please copy and paste the link on your browser):

      http://www.malankaraworld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_7-June-1-2011.htm

      *Highlights of the Current Issue
      *
      This issue is dedicated to Ascension Feast

      Bible Readings for Ascension Thursday (Lectionary)

      *Sermons for Ascension*
      Bible Commentaries and sermons based on the prescribed reading for
      Ascension Feast is covered in depth. We have provided a well balanced
      coverage including classical sermons and commentary combined with more
      contemporary work. This will be a valuable resource to our clergy as
      well as to our laity as a bible study/meditation tool.

      *What is Ascension Feast?*
      The fortieth day after Easter Sunday, commemorates the Ascension of
      Christ into heaven, according to Mark:16:19, Luke:23:51, and Acts:1:2.
      In the Eastern Church this feast was known as analepsis (the taking up) and as the episozomene (the salvation). The terms used in the West, ascensio and ascensa, signify that Christ was raised up by His own powers. Mount Olivet, near Bethany, is designated as the place where Christ left the earth. The feast falls on Thursday, and it is one of the most solemn in the calendar, ranking with the feasts of the Passion, Easter and Pentecost.

      *I am the Alpha and the Omega*
      "Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one
      for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." Bible Passage to reflect on.

      *God Has Gone Up with a Shout*
      The icon of the Ascension feast notes the mystery of the event by
      placing Christ within a circle, known as a Mandorla, the traditional way to denote that something is beyond or normal vision or understanding.

      The Scriptures say that among the disciples who were present at His
      ascension, there were some "who doubted." A fascinating look at icon making.

      *In the Beginning - A Prayer Meditation*
      A poignat prayer for meditation

      *Who Am I?*
      In US, this is also the time for the graduation ceremonies. This article combines the Ascension feast with an introspection. We will bring a companion "Who am I" article from an Orthodox perspective in a future edition of the Journal.

      One of the most important teaching of Jesus is what I call "Servant
      Leadership." Jesus has told his disciples that whoever want to be a
      leader must serve others. Jesus demonstrated that by washing the legs of the disciples. Somehow or other this concept has lost on our leadership and laity. We are all fighting for important positions in church while forgetting the sick and downtrodden. You can read more about Servant Leadership in Malankara World:
      http://www.malankaraworld.com/Library/General/General_servant-leadership.htm

      *Continuing the Work of the Master*
      A captivating sermon on Ascension with two stories that brings out what the disciples went through emotionally when Jesus bid them Good Bye on Ascension day.

      *On Ascension Day*
      A Russian Orthodox perspective on ascension: Ascension marks the last
      day of Christ's physical presence on Earth. This marks the fulfillment
      of all things, since His Conception at the Annunciation to the Holy
      Virgin, His Birth and all the events of His earthly life, recorded for
      us in the Gospels.

      *About Malankara World*
      Malankara World has over 2700 articles covering all aspects of Syriac
      Orthodoxy that are of interest to Family. In addition to articles on
      spirituality, faith, sacraments, sermons, devotionals, etc. Malankara
      World also has general articles of interest, health tips, Food and
      Cooking, Virtual Travel, and Family Specific articles. Please visit
      Malankara World and experience the difference. New articles and
      devotionals are added daily.
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/default.htm

      We thank you for your continued support and encouragement. Please tell
      your friends about Malankara World. A vibrant church requires a vibrant and well connected community. That is the mission of Malankara World.

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/
      ID no (956)