Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , May 30, 2011
      Today's Bible verse

      "God has sent me to free those who have been treated unfairly.” (Luke 4:18)

      Can you do anything to undo the injustice committed to the innocents?

      The poor and the weak are constantly subjected to cruelty and exploitations by the powerful and rich. The cries and tears of the victims are always seen and heard by the compassionate and loving God Jesus. He stands to put an end to this injustice and cruelty. The men and women of God in all times have risen to work for Him. We are destined to act and break the shackles of abuse and exploitation at the risk of our life. Isaiah 58:6 - “Is not this kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke to set the oppressed free and break every yoke.” Jesus won’t be silent in your distress. He is going to put an end off all abuses and exploitations. Bank on him.

      Travelling around Bangladesh in the wake of that country’s 1974 famine, banker and economist Muhammad Yunus saw how the misery before him was worsened by unscrupulous money lenders. He met women who had taken out loans to buy bamboo for the furniture they made, and were then forced to pay all of their profits to their lenders - a vicious cycle of permanent debt. Appalled, Yunus took the equivalent of $27 out of his pocket and on the spot loaned it to group of 42 women. After selling their wares and paying him back, the women had made a profit of 82 cents, a huge sum for them. This is the beginning of Grameen Bank. This small step freed millions of poor from the shark teeth of money lenders to economic freedom and prosperity. For his simple yet profound efforts, Yunus was awarded the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize.

      Mathew 5:6 - “God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied.”

      Prayer : Jesus, save us from all kinds of abuse, exploitation and injustice. We pray for those who are in the forefront for the fight of injustice. Let those who are in debt and its burden be freed. Let more Yunus-like compassionate people sprout from this desert of non-compassion and insensitivity. Let your kingdom of justice and fair play come. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      Tuesday, 31st May 2011
      www.jerusalemchristianmission.com